Stinker!! woah..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by davidquinlan, Apr 15, 2005.

1. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Just back from watching those poor people plod around London (the marathon was on today), I'm knackered and I got Tubes,Trains, Docklands railway.. sat in the sun in Green Park (just near Buckingham Palace !!) took a break for a sarnie from Pret A Manger.. :shock:
    My mate Phil (who is current understudy to the Dean Martin role in the Rat Pack in the west end) finshed the marathon (with a dodgy knee) in 3hours 48mins.

I played in the pit orchestra for South Pacific a few years ago when I lived on the Isle of Man.

It was so poor, we (the wise, windswept and interesting ones on trumpet in the pit) renamed it..

"Sounds Pathetic"

Ha, very funny ML, my version of that song goes..

"I'm just a girl who can't say nnnnhh , ... nnnnhhh ... nnnnnnhhhhh" ;-)

Think about it.. say it out loud if it helps...

(er, by the way, I'm not a girl by the way)

Come to think of it, I played in pit orchestra for Calamity Jane too, even more years ago when I lived in Ireland.
    I'll start you off, to the tune of "The Deadwood Stage"... "Whip Crack-away" here is my contribution..

Oh, the Sop dep is coming onto the stage,
    With his shiny sop and confidence all ok..
    He's got no clue what we going to play,
    Split, crack-a-note
    Split, crack-a-note
    Split, crack-a-note
    :bleah:

ha, that's good even if I say so myself, well as Trumpet players if we can't praise ourselves who will ??? :dontknow:

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    ROFL

I enjoy Pret a Manger! A Sarnie is a sandwich for us Yanks, right (although, you folks came up with "sandwich, too!)? But what's in it? It's a special kind of sandwich, no?

But "knackered"? Hmmm... that's one I don't know.

ML

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Knowing pret it probably had pine seeds and aromatic rocket in it, but other than that a sarnie is a regular sarnie ;-)

You don't know "knackered"? It's the garage repairman's favourite word ... "that exhaust is knackered mate". ie. rather tired out :D

I played in the pit for a girl school's production of calamity jane a while back - me and the other trumpet player were the only 2 blokes in the production, so they hadn't bothered to give us a seperate dressing room :shock: :lol:

Fun times :cool:

4. davidquinlan

Aye, Sarnie - Sandwich. Shared a Turkey Club and a Humus sandwich with Mrs Q. very tasty, and the sandwiches weren't bad to .. ba boom tisch...

Knackered, maybe that's an Irishism..

means, very very tired.. i.e Exaggerating how tired you are..

In Ireland we say things like..

"jasus boy, I was werkin' all day boy, I'm feckin' knackered.. "

then again, that could just be unique to the part of Ireland where I'm from.. Waterford in the south east. You must have heard of Waterford Crystal? That's the place! :-)

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    WATERFORD IS WHERE I HAD MY FIRST GUINNESS!!!

Me mates and me were feckin' knackered from bein' on a bloody tour bus all day and I settled into a pub in Waterford for pint o' the black stuff.

How's that?

Anyways, it was like having a beer milkshake... I can still taste it and have gotten to be a real priss about drinking it outside Ireland. I'm not so sure it travels well even over the Irish Sea. It was truly a memorable experience.

ML

6. Ai_Dygress

Ai_Dygress Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2005
    IL
    Well they have real Guinness there.. not the poor watered down version we have in America. *sighs*

7. davidquinlan

Cool, same here!! :D

When were you in Waterford? Sounds like you've picked up the lingo OK.. did you have any Blaa's when you were there?

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I was there when you were a wee lad. It was 1986 and I traveled over much of the UK and Ireland. I really took to liking the Irish folks I met. They were warm and welcoming. I got a few of them to teach to play a proper game of darts one evening. They got a kick out of the vast lack of knowledge I had about the game. I hope I get to go back one day.

Blaa's? Is there something new in the world of adult beverages for me to try? If it's good stuff, the first round's on me in '06 when I get there!

ML

9. davidquinlan

Ah, the summer of 86, I was a we lad too!! Toured Cyprus with the Junior National Youth Orchestra of Ireland in late August/September.
    We played in Roman amphitheatres at Kyrenia and Paphos which was an amazing experience! Liked the place so much Mrs Q and I went there on Honeymoon. :)

Nostalgia eh!!

I'm afraid the Blaa isn't an adult beverage, it is however another vital food group..

The well known and much favoured Waterford bread, the Blaa goes back to the French After the Religious wars in France in the sixteenth century, Religious Huguenot refugees came to Ireland and to the port city of Waterford in particular. They settled in the city to become traders and merchants, they also took over a l3th century Franciscan friary church and made it a Huguenot chapel near the quays of Waterford known today as the French church.

For more Waterford Slang, there is a book available.. even made me laugh lots..
    http://www.upthedeise.com/slang.htm

10. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    that was the year I was born :-o