Stocking Stuffer

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by ecarroll, Dec 10, 2005.

1. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Fellow Masters,

Sorry that I've been "off the air" for a bit. End of term in different time-zones has almost ended me as well. I'll try to do better soon.

One of my students at McGill recently turned me on to an absolutely fabulous DVD that all of you Mahlerians should ask Santa for:

Mahler: Symphony No.5
    Berliner Philharmoniker/Simon Rattle
    EMI (2003)

Tamás Velenczel reminds us, once again, why he's the most glorious sounding orchestral trumpeter heard today and the solo hornist comes down to the front of the stage for the obligato/third movement. Great fun and, in my opinion, the best Fifth that I've ever heard. VERY impressive.

Buy it for yourself if you don't celebrate. . .

Dashing through the snow (no, that's the 4th),
    EC

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Being one of the Mahlerians, I shall look into that Ed. Thank you for the heads-up.

The "dashing through the snow/Mahler 4" was very clever and cute. I am still snickering.

I guess Amazon or Tower would be a good place to pick it up this Mahler 5, huh? Lately, I have been looking for "For the Love of Three Orchestras" and "The Little Drummer Boy" (about Mahler) documentaries put out by Leonard Bernstein. They are still only available on VHS and not DVD. This Mahler 5 will be a good substitute since your review makes it sound like a "fresh" interpretation. My ears have grown bored with dusty versions of Mahler 5, so this is a welcome discovery. Thanks again.

PS Take care with all of your travel. 'Tis sniffle season you know.

3. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Vrouwetje,

I'm finished at CalArts on Friday and going home for the holidays then (cue: offstage trumpets). The frirst term at McGill is already in the can.

Simon's interpretation is terrific (I love the man as a person and as a musician) and you will be knocked out by the trumpet playing, I promise. My rotary C (Lechner) is was pretty transparent in the orchestra. The Schlagerl C sounds like a soprano trombone proving, yet again, that it's the player, not the horn (listen up, everyone).

Pax,
    EC (Donner und Blitzen)

4. JJ

JJ Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2005
    FYI, Bernstein's 1970s cycle with the Vienna Philharmonic is now also generally available on DVD. They were previously only available in Japan. I've listened to everything, except the 8th and Adagio from the 10th.

Not surprisingly, given Bernstein's audio recordings of the work, the 5th is excellent. I also really liked the performances of the 3rd and the 9th.

JJ

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the heads up JJ. I have Young People's Concerts, Harvard Talks, Reaching for the Note and Making of West Side Story all on DVD and Little Drummer Boy and Love of Three Orchestras on VHS. I was wondering if the "Concert Series" you mentioned was worth getting and it seems as though it is. Hmmmmm.....I will have to do some tugging on Santa's ear and put in a request. ;-)

6. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Wonderful stuff everyone but let's keep our eye on the ball.

When you hear Tamás (Schlagerl C trumpet, by the way) play the Trauermarch you'll know why.

Rarely this impressed,
    EC

7. JJ

JJ Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2005
    No argument there; I love the dvd and was actually able to attend one of the performances.

JJ

8. Philippe

Philippe New Friend

Oct 17, 2005
    I actually did a project on Simon Rattle's interpretation of this score. A comparison be Rattle's and Barrenboim's Chicago recording.One difference between this recording and others (besides the actual performance) is that the horn player actually went up to the front of the stage for the scherzo. (as per mahler's request for a concert which he conducted in amsterdam) This recording was done live after 10(ten!!!!!!) rehearsals. I have listened to it and it has inspired me to study conducting. It will only make me a better player.
    happy listening,
    Philippe

9. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    JJ,

Do you live in Berlin?

EC

10. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    Ed & all,

There is also a Mahler 5th DVD with Claudio Abbado and Lucern Festival Orchestra. Abbado has gathered some of the best players in Europe:

Clarinet, Sabine Meyer, oboe, Albrecht Mayer, horn, Stefan Dohr (btw, Dohr is principal horn in Berlin Phil.). On principal trumpet, Reinhold Friedrich - he opens the ball: TA-TA-TA TAAA

You can see that all musicians enjoy playing. Recommended!

Ole