Stokie

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by wiseone2, Jan 1, 2006.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The American Symphony was one of the first gigs I got when I moved to New York from Baltimore. I auditioned for Leopold Stokowski at his apartment. It was like a movie set! Exotic instruments all over the place. It was the whole floor of the apartment building.....and I hear it was a rent-controlled pad. I can't remember what I played for the Maestro, but when I finished he said,"You are a Philadelphian." I was startled! How the heck did he know that? I was offered a position on the spot.
    The ASO is a free-lance orchestra, in those days tenure was out of the question.
    Jimmy Stubbs was the principal,Gerry Schwarz was co-principal and Lou Ranger made up the section.

We played some seriously strange music, Check out a piece titled "The Jungle." The composer is Werner Josten. I think the recording is still around. There is an instrument that reproduces a .....Lion's roar :roll: You had to be there.

I got a chance to work with Igor Markavitch with the ASO. We did several performances o f'Le Sacre." He did not use a score at any time. Not at rehearsals or concerts. Now that's scary! He knew The Rite of Spring.

Stokie was fearless. He hired minorities long before it was mandated by law.
    Man, do we need a guy today to shake things up like he did in Philly :cool:

Wilmer

2. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    wilmer:

are you on the ives 4 record? is that too old for you?

dj

3. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Just a tad. It was probably Jimmy Stubbs.
    Wilmer

4. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    We used one of those in Wind Ensemble last semester. Ours was some type of string through a drum head.

5. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    That's it!
    Scared the heck out of me! Keep your eyes on those guys, you never know what they're up to :shock:
    Wilmer

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    That would be a "Quica"!

ML

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The last year my daughter was in University she was equipment manager for the wind ensemble. She had me searching everywhere to see where they could beg/buy/rent/borrow/steal a "Lion Roar". Never did find one and we kinda knew what they looked like too.

Has to be the first thing we failed to find on Ebay!!!

8. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota