Stomach Pain in the High Register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ehg3322, Jan 13, 2013.

1. ehg3322

ehg3322 New Friend

Oct 23, 2010
    Norway
    For the last 6 -7 months or so I have started to practice a lot 1,5 to 3,5 hours a day. I practice a lot of fundamentals and focus much on air, breathing and relaxing both the entire body and the lips.

When i practice i donĀ“t practice the high register for the sake of the high notes but a lot of exercises I practice have a lot of high notes in them. All my teachers have learned me to not tighten my lips to much, to have strong corners and a relaxed center and to use mostly air and pressure in my stomach, so this is how I play in the upper.

Today I have for the second time ever experienced pain in my stomach while playing long passages without in the upper register. The first time I felt this was while playing Neruda at a concert, in the second part of the 1st mvt. (bar 113 - 144). The second time was today when playing Buglers Holiday after the final note (c3) the tone it self was not a problem at all.

This pain seems to appear when i play long passages in the high register without breathing. But I think that it is strange because I often play and practice in that register with the same amount of pressure without any kind of pain. The pain is difficult to describe on a scale from 1-10 it is a 6 or 7 and i can handle quite an amount of pain. It is not intolerable but I felt like siting down, i got dizzy and for a second or two I thought i was going to throw up. The pain started to fade after a minute or two and was completely gone after 15 min.

I got a little bit worried when it happened today and I wanted to ask here if anyone had experienced the same thing. Is this something that will go away with time after I more experience and have practiced and played more? Should i schedule a doctors appointment just to be sure?

I will be happy for all answers!

Thanks, ehg3322:play:

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi ehg3322,

Not sure what the right answer is. I'll let others answer this from a trumpet-playing perspective. I'll go from the medical side of things.

You're describing abdominal pain, associated with dizziness and nausea, that occurs under physical stress, and that is relieved with rest. If you're an adult and have risk factors for heart disease, and especially if these systems happen when you are under other types of physical stress (climbing stairs, brisk walking, running, etc.), then yes, I'd go see your doctor.

However, if you're relatively young, relatively healthy, and participate in regular physical activity without these symptoms, then it's likely nothing to be concerned about from a medical perspective.

Mike

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Chances are, as you build your stamina, everything will straighten out.however, back in HS a friend of mine (now a player in Phili) had something similar when going up to Gs above high C in jazz band and it turned out to be appendicitis. That is unlikely with you, but ease up and stop playing as soon as the pain starts. If it doesn't go away after a week or so of playing, you might want to see a doc. There are several doctors here who will likely weigh in. The rest of us really don't know and are just giving our guesses.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have seen some strange presentations of angina (heart pain related to coronary artery disease) and this could be one of them as suggested by TrumpetMD. It could also be a hernia, and you feel muscle strain as the pain... the nausea, possibly from temporary incarcerate bowel. Or it could just be strain and you had a vasovagal reaction to the pain. Anything that has angina in the differential however, does need to be evaluated by a physician. My advice is to see your doctor about this.

By the way, I am a doctor, and I donot play one on TV. So is and neither is TrumpetMD, at least I never recalled seeing TrumpetMD on TV... Not even on the 11 O'clock news... at least not yet anyway!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I had the same thing the other night (nausea) --- but with NO pain ---- of course, on further reading on the incarcerate bowel thing --- YOU are starting to sound like my Boss at work --- who often says "you have more sh** than a Christmas Turkey" ---- but today I feel better ---- perhaps that is why you mentioned it to be a temporary condition. I can't believe people think that about me!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I ain't no Doc, but I had symptoms of extreme pain, with sweats, dizziness, and lower abdominal pain. I really thought I was having a heart attack, and had my wife call for an ambulance. Subsequently, it turned out to be only a gall stone blocking a bile duct which the Docs took care of. For those reading this that don't know me, I'm 76 yo and have already had a triple heart bypass, aneurisms AAA and left femoral with consequential PAD and COPD. Yep, my name is already inscribed on my headstone ... I'm just holding off on them putting the date of my demise on it. My point being, schedule regular medical check-ups.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I see you work for a man with keen insight... just call it a "gut" reaction.

8. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    Happened to me 7 years ago in the upper abdomen below the sternum. It was a dull pain that made me nauseous. Although the pain was constant for a few days, it really hurt when my diaphragm tensed. It turned out to be a gall bladder attack and thankfully, a visit to the doctor and Prilosec helped. Now I watch what I eat and have not felt that pain since.