stomach relaxation while playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Hey Manny,

During the masterclass you talked with me about the way the stomach should expand like a barrel and when you play your stomach should move in like an hour glass...I understand the barrel on the inhale side of it but since we didn't have an extensive amount of time, I am lost right about now with how that actually works. Like you noticed, my stomach naturally hardens because of certain issues. Now my question is, do we as trumpet players have to manually move our stomachs inward into the hourglass position or SHOULD it automatically move in while playing? Is this an absolute relaxation issue or partially manual as well?

Thanks for your future advice!

Jeremy

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jeremy,

At first, as one learns this technique, there is conscious thought about tucking the belly inward to support the wind just as there is conscious thought about releasing the tension in the belly so that it and the chest can expand elastically.

With consistent practice it becomes second nature but it takes a long time for the first-timer to get it down. Much of the practice can and maybe should be done away from the horn like while you're sitting at the computer terminal.

I don't understand your last question. Sorry.

ML

3. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    The last question you answered fine. What I meant to ask was whether or not the stomach should move in automatically because of playing so relaxed or do I have to move it in manually, but you got to it so thanks

JT

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Okay, I have it now... let's be clear. The body does this hundreds of times a day when you aren't playing trumpet but it's not working against the resistance of a mouthpiece, either. So we have to do an exaggerated version of the natural thing in order to do something un-natural: playing trumpet.

ML

5. Fusion2002

Fusion2002 New Friend

Dec 11, 2004
    I've been watching this thread and tried it yesterday while practicing. I noticed that I have a tendancy to pull my stomach in while taking air in, and pushing it out while exhaling.... Which makes no sense now that I think about it.... I like this relaxed approch to breathing, but I think its going to be hard getting rid of the old habbit. :-(

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tom,

So how in the flamin' hootie-hoo did you develop that pattern of breathing?

ML

7. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    can sombody explain to me the "hour glass" ?

Thanks
    Eric :dontknow:

8. Fusion2002

Fusion2002 New Friend

Dec 11, 2004
    Well... I'm not sure... Everyone always said take a big breath.... I started sucking in lots of air... just didnt realize the stomach was going in as well....

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Eric,

That's just my way of making a mental exaggeration of the way the body looks when it exhales quickly and completely. Nothing more.

ML

10. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Should you imagine the narrow part being your front and back? or side to side?

E.