Stomvi Mambo vs. V-Raptor

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rhdroc, Feb 14, 2004.

1. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    Anyone ever play the Stomvi Mambo and the Brass Spa V-Raptor?? What are your thoughts on these trumpets?? What about the lightweight V-Raptor?

Haven't heard much about these horns.

Thanks---<Rick

P.S. How about the Stomvi Master flugel with the interchangeable bells??

2. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    The Mambo is extremely flexible and fast reacting, BUT it has little core to it's tone. It's almost all sizzle. When I soloed down in the staff, I was disappointed with the body and core of the tone. It's a large bore design that can accept a lot of air. Above the staff it really rips. If you think about a doink, rip or fall, it just happens. I think it'd be a poor all round horn, but great for many lead players.

The V-R is very satisfying, reminding me of an extremely well executed Yamaha Z, with superior intonation and easier upper register. I preferred the light weight in gold plate, but thought that the light and standard weight responded similarly without a big difference in tone. There's a good core in all registers. I plays like many step bore designs, with relatively slippery slots, requiring precise control, but reward that with great ease of playing. This is one of my favorite horns.

Dave

3. Krafty934

Krafty934 New Friend

Jan 11, 2004
    Hey rhdroc,
    I played a lightweight V-Raptor that my private teacher has and it is everything they say it is and some more! It plays beautifully and absolutely sizzles in the upper register (mind you, I didn't take it up further than the E above high C :wink:). It's intonation cannot be compared to any other instrument I tried! It was really easy to play and slots very well, IMHO. I thought it was the best trumpet I ever played; in fact, I'm about to order a standard weight V-R (the lightweight one was too bright for some of the symphonic work that I do). I never played the Stomvi Mambo, but if you ever get a chance to try out a V-Raptor, you won't be dissapointed! Hope this helps ya!

Kaushik