STOMVI - trumpet valve guides -Dynasound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kang-Ling, Aug 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    I have an old Stomvi "Sinfonia" (from the eighties) with nylon-guides. I was thinking of an "update" of the horn, ordering metall-guides, but then I heard about Stomvi´s Dynasound- System (more expensive). It has intechangeable weights for each guide. Anybody has tried it ?
    Is weight really so important ?
    (for the sound or the state of mind)

sukraM

2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have a set in one of my Raptors - picked it up used just for the fun of it. I'm really not sure that the weights are worth having, but I do like the guides themselves. I've played around with all the weight combinations but find I like them best with no weight at all. I suggest saving a few $$ and getting the metal guides only, unless you have money to burn and are curious.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I'm curious why the metal guides are considered an "update". I have several Olds models which have had the original brass guides replaced with nylon and they are much quieter. I have not played any of them enough to assess the wear factor but brass is soft so it seems that nylon would have wear properties just as good. What else is there about the metal guides that makes them better?

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The guide stays in place when you play. Why wouldn't you just add weight in the normal places, like the valve caps if you really wanted to change the way the horn played.

5. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    thank you flugelgirl,

if I don´t find some second-hand dynasound guides, I´ll just buy some metal ones

ComeBackKid : of course nylon-guides are quieter, but the horns with metal-guides I have, are feeling -mechanically- somehow more accurate and responsive

the machine of my old Stomvi (with nylon-guides) is just working very loosy,
    but this can also be because of a lot of repairs/solderings in the years, and the machine is just "deformed/broken" ¿?¿

the strangest thing is: moving the valves without blowing, the mechanics seems to work perfectly, but blowing , playing slow legato stuff, with slow valve movements, some valves seem to "get a little blocked" on their way "up"

hope it´s just the nylon ......

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I have several trumpets that have the same problem - valves seem fine when just fingering (not playing) but become very sluggish and slow on the up-stroke when playing. These trumpets do not have nylon guides, they do not have any damage or repairs, the valves are still shiny with no wear or corrosion, the compression is still very good. So, there is no apparent reason why they should be sluggish. I have repeatedly cleaned the valves and have tried various oils - synthetic and petroleum - but nothing seems to help. I thought maybe it was the mixture from my saliva with the oil but the same oil works fine on other trumpets of the exact same model.

So, the cause is a mystery and I am still researching it. If I can find a cure, it will be a benefit to the entire trumpet community because from what I read here, many have this problem to one degree or another.

But, I am pretty sure it is not your guides. So, before spending money on new guides, let met experiment a bit more and see if I can find something that will work (I am going to swap pistons, use stronger springs, use a micrometer on the pistons and casings, and do some other things to identify factors that may cause the sluggish movement).

I'll post back here when I know more.

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Metal valve guides are superior to plastic ones because they provide an acoustic short circuit across the casing to dampen unwanted resonances.

( Beware, this is B S )

Regards, Stuart.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    May I use that one Stuart? That's in the same league as the 5 gallons of de-hydrated water carried in aircraft liferafts. :roll:

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have noticed similar issues with valves - hanging when playing but not when just fingering. This is a question for the great minds of our TMime!!!!

Well?? Airstream pressure in the ports holding them open?? Well??

10. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    I have the same problem on one of my horns. I really can't figure it out either. Maybe when we are playing we hold the valve cluster a little tighter and the springs aren't strong enough to lift the piston in the tighter environment?