STOMVI - trumpet valve guides -Dynasound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kang-Ling, Aug 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I already checked this one out. I played a couple of my trumpets without holding on to the valve casings at all (just held it by the bellpipe) - no difference. I'm still checking other angles.

2. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    good luck ComeBackKid with your experiments.......................................................

(it seems, that the valve mechanics -part of the tube- when the air column is vibrating, is acting differently)

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I guess most of you are far better/sensitive players than I am. Except for the noise, I notice NO DIFFERENCE.

I have a rule of thumb on stuff like this: if my day to day consistency is WORSE than the supposed improvement, it ain't worth it. If my day to day consistency is BETTER, than the difference, then I do not need it.

It is cool to think about all of the things that could go wrong. As long as your faces are at the top of the list, your breathing at second place, body use 3rd and technique is 4th, then I guess there is room after that for heavy guides

4. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    Hallo Rowuk

nice your writing/Wörterspiel

BUT

I am not thinking of getting a heavy-big sound with metal-guides or that my horn then will play alone..

I just want to try metal-guides to see, if I can improve the valve-mechanics
    (maybe in the last overhaul - which cost me some money, just some weeks ago - the technician -maybe- did some (soldering) work with the valves inside, and this "nice- smooth-noiseless-nylon-guides" are now "deformed" ?)

(I live in Málaga and sending the horn back to the work-shop in Madrid cost me the same as some new metal ones)

¿ alles klar ?

sukraM