Stop brand/model shaming!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Clarkvinmazz, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    I totally agree, and it really wasnt the purpose of this post just to say that bachs are great. it just seems unnecessary when someone tries to convince everybody that one particular instrument or brand is terrible no matter what. Everyone has their different opinions, and i think i do a pretty good job of respecting those with differing ones than mine, but if youre just shouting that strads are the worst trumpets ever or that olds ambassadors are the scum of the trumpet world, that doesnt accomplish anything. theres a difference between trashtalking and voicing opinions.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yamaha is the biggest because they are the best. They have the best material science, the best and most repeatable manufacturing, a fantastic support structure AND quality on top. After that comes the marketing. Bach is up there because they have a sound quality that has the right mix of core and sheen that was so ideal that most american symphony orchestras didn't want anything else. I believe this is because a fine musician can dose the volume and color so precisely that it does not collide much with the other instruments. There is also another thing about a Bach: a conductor "hears" the volume and can react to it. I have had several conductors say that the Monette sounds great, but they are never sure if I am too loud or soft because of the projection. A natural trumpet is the opposite - the conductors always are convinced that they need more, but they don't. It is the performing qualities first, not the marketing.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Conversely, I had an Olds Recording trumpet for a little while and hated it. However...I never bash them because I'm sure it was just some sort of compatibility issue with me. They must be great horns, because so many good trumpet players like them. I've never really cared for Yamaha instruments; To me, there just seems to be something missing from the sound or the feedback. Lastly, I used to own a '55 Mt. Vernon Strad and to me, it was no better than my '76 Elkhart Strad that I owned at the same time - no magic there. Now I'm speaking pure blasphemy, for sure...:lol:

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Dale, I have had the same thoughts on the Recording. I had one for a year and hated it. Is it a "bad" horn? Absolutely not!
    About 5 or 6 years ago, a friend who plays a standard Bach 37 and sounds fine on it, brought in his Recording. I tried it with the same results of years ago. Bad horn? No, just not for me. He doesn't like it either.
    The Schilke B1 is my only Bb now. I can blend it any other horn in a section and have done so for the last 9 years. For me, it is the best horn of the dozen or so Bb I have ever owned.
    The new Yamaha 8335 II is the closest horn I ever tried to the Schilke. Much less "vanilla" sounding than some Yamahas. The Schilke ease with a much closer to a Bach sound.
    There are lousy horns out there. Most of them are cheap knock-offs.
    Rich T.

Brassman64 likes this.
  5. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    I think your opinion sucks and so do Monettes.

bumblebee likes this.
  6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I'm at my crankiest when I don't get my espresso.

I wouldn't say that. The world is filled with older cranky curmudgeons. Why, there might even be one or two on this forum.

That's just a bit dogmatic for me. "Best" is so subjective, you know that. ;-) And where one horn may have better articulation, another may have better sound, or another easier range. The best is what factors a player needs to best compliment his/her own capabilities.

Besides, Yamahas are devoid of soul and human emotion.

bumblebee likes this.
  7. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    So are my Amatis - one was made in the 1960s and has that behind-the-Iron-Curtain feel to it, and the other (ca. 1990s-2000s) just feels mass-produced...but not Yamaha mass-produced. :-P

Brassman64 likes this.
  8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Ha, ha. I love it. "that behind-the-Iron-Curtain feel to it". Well done.

9. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    I would never even CONNsider it!

Brassman64 likes this.
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mendini, Tristar, and any other white gloved, tuner included, band director approved, professional TSO under $129.99 is CRAP. :D