Stop brand/model shaming!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Clarkvinmazz, Dec 13, 2015.

1. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    Where do you put the mouthpiece :stars:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hybrid probably means a reed or something else more efficient than lips.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

4. badenia

badenia Piano User

Oct 25, 2013
    California
    Interesting!

In 1959 I started with a Buescher. In 1965 I went to a Selmer Mod K. In 1968 to a Benge 2X. In 1984 added a Yamaha Flugel. In 1988 added a 1969 Bach Strad 37. In 1990 a Jupiter slide trumpet. In 2008 added a Huttl and Conn/Willson Flugel. Through the years, I have played Holton, Getzen, Le Blanc, and King. Finally in 2010 I bought a 1929 Conn 22B.

Now I have 28 Conn/Pan American/Cavalier/International Trumpets/Cornets/Flugels in my collection. I also still have the Benge. The Huttl will be sold soon, like all the others.

Like people have different opinions about the makes, I have also. I have even changed my opinion over the years. In the 1960's and beyond, I did not like the Conn product. Now I am a collector of its instruments (1920-1969 mostly) and doing studies on the company.

What I have found is each manufacturer and model has sound, design and utility characteristics combined with price that are pleasing to some. Some of the manufacturers or their models can become pleasing to many. Often it is based on what is the sound or usage trend of the day. Musicians playing in different styles from Rock, to Jazz, to Dixie, to Polka, to Big Band, Concert Band, Marching Band, Symphony or Solo work many expect different performance from their instrument. In combo's I even find different instruments or models mix better than others with different instruments types or models. I am sure there are many that disagree as they may play the same instrument for all performances.

Having said that, I have noticed there are "quality" differences over the years and among the manufacturers. Alloys, hardening and plating are easily noticed and influence sound quality from a richness viewpoint. This can also influence the opinion of an instrument. For example I have 2 Chinese made pocket trumpets (omitted from above purposefully as they are just fun horns). They measure the same in all aspects. However, 1 is very tinny and can be annoying in the upper registers. Whereas the other plays pretty well and is relatively balanced along the scale. What is very noticeable is the poor version is made from a different alloy then the better one. For example, using the old flick test, the bell thunks on the poorer one, but the better one has a ring. Inspecting valves reveals a better plating on the better instrument.

Basically, what I have learned is don't judge a manufacturer's or a country's product by one or a few instruments as instruments and times change. The "best" of yesterday may not be today and the "best" of today may not be tomorrow. Even what makes a "student" horn, a "student" horn changes over time or for that matter intermediate, step-up or professional.

Those of us who have looked at the brand Conn and its products over its life can attest to this.

Brassman64 likes this.
  5. Donald trumpet

Donald trumpet New Friend

Jul 8, 2017
    Algonquin Illinois
    I hate King and Yamaha trumpets. I only use Bach Stradavarious

6. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    This thread ended more than 1 1/2 years ago.:?:

7. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    True? Read the inscription on the bell again.

robrtx and trickg like this.
  8. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    So true, I have the same feelings about Coca Cola and my new set of screw drivers.

cb5270 and Donald trumpet like this.
  9. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Clearly it did not.

JRgroove likes this.
  10. Donald trumpet

Donald trumpet New Friend

Jul 8, 2017
    Algonquin Illinois
    So I'm gon bring it back