stop playing when you're tired? or keep going?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jamesfrmphilly, Apr 12, 2004.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    i allways make myself play a ballad, slow and under control as the last part of my routine. this is very difficult for me when I'm tired.

some folks on the other thread say to stop playing when you are tired.

what do you think?

2. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    OCCASIONALLY (once a week) doing something like that is beneficial (at least for me)...

But for the most part, I stop playing.

--Kevin

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    since there are too many trumpet players out there and not enough jobs i would say for all of you to practice no matter how tired you are, infact pushing in on the lips with the mouthpiece really helps you with high notes!! dont stop untill you cant feel your face!!

:lol:

In my own practice I try to play things as perfectly as possible. When it becomes clear that I can no longer perform at the expected level due to fatigue I will take a break.

so i would say if the sound or level of performance drops becasue you are tired it is time to take a break or call it quits for the day.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    thanks for the information, i will adjust my routine.
    i think I've been guilty of trying to be too tough on myself.

5. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I tend to spread my sessions out over the day. It helps me to keep the focus on what I'm doing and gives my chops that needed break. By the end of the day, it didn't really feel like I'd played about 5 hours and that's a good thing, IMHO.

As per some advice (Noel), I cut back to 3 1/2 hours over the last few days and things seem to be functioning even better. Maybe we don't always feel tired.........but we are tired.

6. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

OK pushing yourself isn't so good either. When you can't feel your lips quit and go do something else like comment on the website for example.

7. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    This is an interesting topic.

Under strickly practice room circumstances, sure, rest when you are tired, other wise you can risk developing bad habits. However, say you are a lead trumpet player with a show on the road ... can you rest when you are tired, start over again if you don't like the way the practice session is going ... NO!

So ... If you've got gigs to play coming up, you need to practice as if it were a show, you can't rest, put the horn down etc., ... I've heard it refered to as "road chops".

Practice wisely, and prepare your self for the gig to come!

8. Gnostic

Gnostic New Friend

Oct 24, 2003
    :)

9. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    When I get tired in the practice room, I walk away and go get some water, grab a snack.... I lip buz for a little bit, then I go back. That helps me go a little longer. When that doesn't work, It's time to put it away. Of course, different methods work for different people.

JGW

10. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Listen to your body. It will tell you when to rest