stop playing when you're tired? or keep going?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jamesfrmphilly, Apr 12, 2004.

1. hadley12656

hadley12656 New Friend

Aug 1, 2007
    The best thing to do to prevent fatigue is to rest as much as you play.
    By this, I mean play for about 1-3 minutes, than rest for that same amount of time. If you do this you can play all day without getting tired.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I wish someone had told Philip Glass this!

3. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    Kicking a dead horse. I tried paying strict attention the last few weeks to my practice schedule. At 2 hrs per day, I can go 4 days without a break. On the fourth day of practice I begin to accumulate fatigue. I have to work harder to make my horn speak and I begin to rest longer and my drive to do the work suffers. I take one full day off and begin my next practice session a full 48 hrs from the last. My sound is back and I feel fresh and ready to go. But I feel it takes 2 days of practice to really get back in the swing. However I feel my progress is steady. I believe you must heal or recover fully from sessions to continue good progress. I think a lot of Trumpet players who have been playing steady for many years forget some of the stages they went through when they first started. I guess a rule for me is when I feel tired or my focus slips I take a rest. As I advance, my recovery time is quicker. I try to listen to my body. 4 months ago when I first got back into playing, 30 minutes felt like plenty. Now I play and hour, take an hour off and play another hour. Occasionally playing hard while jamming with my daughter, and other days takin it easy. Constantly trying to move forward. I would not be affraid to take 2-4 days off If I felt I really needed it. And even a week off once or twice a year would be a good healing and rest period. I realize this could be a set back for some players. But if you have good, hard practice habits. And go right back to work after your rest, I think it is not only good for you but important to development. Perhaps I'll change my view on this later. I am shooting for three hrs. per day. I eventually hope to find a spot playin my horn somewhere. I just hope I can stick with it this time. 25 yrs ago I played lead for Bob Barry and the Skyliners. My Highschool music teacher played drumset, my Jr High music teacher played Bass. I didn't know how good it all was. Well I am back baby. If I am lucky i'll get to play with other musicians again. Workin hard and resting when I have to.

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I have an interview on tape somewhere of Miles Davis in the eighties being interviewed in Hamburg. The German interviewer asks something like, Miles, you are sixty years old, how do you play two and a half hour concerts? Miles replies, "When I feel my lip get tired......I put...the horn....down."

Michael McLaughlin

5. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    Usually if I'm playing a lot for 4 to 6 days, also develop fatigue. Once or sometimes twice a week (depending on my playing schedule or how heavy the material is) I take do a nice long easy warm-up. I will do lip and mouthpiece buzzing and long tones from G in the staff to low C. I finish off with some Stamp and Clarke Technical 1,2 and 8. After that, I'm done for the day. For me it's better than a day off because I didn't strain myself and I don't feel like I have to spend 2 days rebuilding my face.

6. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    It's funny, when I'm playing really a lot I can reach the state where I just don't get tired, that exalted place where nothing is too much and you feel you can play forever. My training is to focus on good fundamentals and fortunately I haven't been put in positions where I get my chops pounded into submission. Even those 45 minute hora sets on klezmer gigs don't faze me when I'm in shape.

Michael McLaughlin

7. Glenn_Magerman

Glenn_Magerman New Friend

Aug 18, 2007
    Hi,
    I'm using James Thompson's Buzzing Method for a year now as warm-up, and I definitly feel less eager to be pushing and twisting my lips when i get tired. I feel this is a great warm-up, and keeps you going all day. On free days, I do between 4 and 7 hours...

Also this method gives a lot of warmth to your sound. In the beginning you notice this when you're getting tired, that you're not pushing, but just letting your tone be warm and smooth; and after some weeks you notice this in your overall playing.
    I think it has to do with the way this method adds overtones to your sound...
    my2 cents :-)

In my studyblocks, i do the following:

end of 1st block (2h): Clarke 1 and/or 2 to focus on sound and concentration and fingeraccuracy --> not too fast! like dotted half = 88 for 1; and 112 for 2

end of 2nd block (1-2h): Some patterns like ray brown for example or Donahue (saxbook)

in between : depends on how i feel

end of last block of the day : caruso for 5 mins.

And then a whiskey to salve the lips hehe...

I think it isn't of capital importance what you did last day, if you can focus good on warming up in the best way; you get your chops together, almost always!

I'm sometimes afraid, because one day you have to play salsa lead on the calicchio, and 2 days later you play with your jazz quartet on the Martin with a 43V 3 Bob Reeves; and the next day you play in the orchestra on the Bach.
    But it seems to work... Get the sound in your head before you start playing, and warmup accordingly...