Storing instruments

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    Where is the best place to store seldom used instruments?
    For instance more that 6 or 7.
    1) On the floor?
    2) On a shelf?
    3) In a closet?
    4) Other?

2. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    My opinion is in a closet on the floor. The higher up you store it the hotter it will get (I live in the deeeeep south where the alligators roam and it gets HOT). Also, make sure the horn is clean and oiled, also drop some valve oil in the leadpipe and tuning slide to try to prevent red rot.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Agree with jbkirby,
    Closer to ground level is also less potential energy for fall and damage. I keep mine in cupboards under hanging shirts etc. a couple under the beds, in corners etc. Try not to store in one place, as it heightens the evidence of OCD or N+1 virus. Keep a couple of bottles of oil in a few places as well. Nothing worse than running out of oils...

Also happy to share a few with close friends I trust, who will look after them, and keeps them in top shape.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I wouldn't store any of mine near alligators. ;-)

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I knew a guy who used extra cases and plywood to make makeshift shelves.

Anyway...I have a Protec quad that holds my seldom used horns. Are yours in cases? If they are, a closet on the ground should be fine. Really, anywhere they won't fall. If they're not in cases, I'd put them on a sturdy bookshelf.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    If it's going to be occasionally used it should be lubricated but if it's not going to be played for a while, it should be totally dry. I stored my cornet dry at my dad's house for over 10 yrs; picked it up last August, put some grease on the slides, oil on the valves and it was playing like I had just put it down from practice the day before. It was in the garage, where it tends to be colder in winter and warmer in summer (35 deg C plus summers). It did not seem to have been affected at all by temperatures.

7. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    All of mine are in cases and at present are siting on their ends on a carped basement floor. This basement is where I practice, use the computer, and build my model railroad.

8. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I keep mine in an antique Mission Oak China Cabinet for display and storage. I keep the cases in the closet. It's nice to see them on display and not hiding somewhere.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Something smells fishy, Bruce.

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

If the floor is "carped", can we deduct that the floor is awash with deep water? Kinda poor storage space, IMHO.

OLDLOU>>