Storing Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 20, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Okay i searched the forums and couldn't find anything on this, sorry if i missed one. I have a new strad that i know i will be playing all the time except for marching band. I want to know how to store my aristocrat so it will be near perfect playing condition when august band camp comes around. The trumpet is technically dead, but it still plays its heart out and does do its job, plus who in their right mind would take a perfectly good strad out on to the marching field? Anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated as i want to make sure i am doing the best job of storing this trumpet.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    You could always give it a good cleaning, remove and wrap the slides and valves and put it in a closet. When band camp comes around you can take it back out, lubricate it, and you're good to go.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Bathe the aristocrat is warm water with a bit of dish detergent, with the valves removed. Soak them separately in same solution in a glass filled to over the piston barrels but under the felts. After an hour rinse everything in fresh water, remove and apply fresh slide grease to the slides, dry the valve cylinders and pistons thoroughly with a micro-fiber (lint and thread free) cloth and lubricate with a good synthetic oil. Work the valves to distribute the oil and the slides to even out the grease, wrap the horn in a nice clean towel or chamois, and put it in its case. It will be ready when you need it.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are quite a few players that take their Strads out onto the field. I guess they relate to their horns in a different way.

Sound determines what horn that I use.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    rowuk,
    actually one kid does bring his artist model xeno, and three others bring out there Strads, but they dont have their old student trumpets anymore. I personally dont disapprove of my aristocrat's tone that bad, so being i have it to my exposure id bring it out on the field instead of the strad.

6. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I was in High School 1970-74 and brought my Bach Strad to every rehearsal and field band performance. Never had a problem. Just be careful.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    actually i may resort to using the Strad mainly because the Aristocrat begins to tighten around high Bb, and if i play first that will pose as a rather large problem. So its all how the parts are assigned then the weapon will be chosen, also the one thing i dont really want to do is bring it out in the pouring rain and frigid temperatures that we get when we compete up in connecticut in late october and early november. i guess ill just have to wait and see