Strad 43

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Okay, today I was sitting in the new 2nd band room (An old student cafe), and was finally curious enough to ask to play on a bandmate's Strad 43.

First thing I noticed was the weight, and how the bell felt feather light. I had never known (Or maybe I have forgotten) that the bell was such a big contributor to the feel in your hands!

Alright, then I was a little skeptical. I have never, EVER played a light horn I've even halfway liked. Shrugging (I love doing something new), I chunked this bad boy in, and started with the music-makin.

The Strad 43 really changes my mind about the light horns.

I immediately noticed a difference in sound. Bright, but not lazer-sounding. I could produce such a gorgeous sound with it, and could control dynamics like never before! It blew me away! I had trouble giving it back! After exchanging, my 37 felt dull, and lifeless.

Now, the cons. Slotting was nowhere near as trustworthy, and intonation was a bit more difficult to control. Really, thats all my complaints, and they're minor ones. To tell you the truth, I could have just been having problems with slotting and intonation just because of the different feel. It was THAT good!!!

This horn really makes me think better of the stradivarius, and has warmed me up to lighter horns. Of course, now this means I'll have to try a Schilke sometime... :D

"Vanny B"