Strad dump slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Apr 12, 2012.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Hi i have a strad cornet where the dump slide flies off for obvious reasons. i am strugling to get Hetmans 9 slide grease in the UK which i believe would solve the problem, is there an alternative product that would solve the problem?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'd give the red Selmer slide grease a try if you can find it.

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    If it becomes a big problem(it seems to be) I would look into putting a hair tie or something on it so it wont fly off and dent itself. Or a very think slide grease.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Buy some lanolin your local pharmacist.

5. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I'm not trying to sound like a smarta**, but I have a Strad trumpet, and my advice, if your dump slide is "flying off", is to try not using a lot of grease. Enough to make it move when you need to dump it, obviously, but not as much as you'd use on the main part of the third valve slide. Hope that helps!!:-)

6. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    The slide grease byt bach is sticky enough to keep it in place. But if it is as bad as your saying then you might want to get a good repair man to swedge it.

7. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Easy fix... Pull the slide, GENTLY squeeze the two slide tubes toward each other JUST enough that when you go to put it back in it doesn't slide in super easy. Problem fixed! Unless you go Nuts and squeeze the crap out of them you're not going to hurt anything.