Strad Pledge

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This thread will probably be perceived as self-serving silliness by this erudite body of trumpeters, but that is OK. A consequence of being an old comebacker with just a little cash now and then for foolishness is that stuff associated with interests and passions has a tendency to accumulate. When this happens, time available to fully use and appreciate each individual item is diminished.

I have what I believe are two legitimate pro Bb trumpets, a minty 2000 Strad 180S37 and a 1952 Blessing Super Artist. Some of you may argue with me about this, but its my story and I'm stickin' to it!;-) Anyway, I'm stating a pledge here to play the Strad with a newish Bach 3C mouthpiece exclusively for the next 30 days (until February 18). Why, some few of you may ask? Well, I just want to see how good I can get across this period of time with the combination and try to appreciate more fully why some feel the Strad is a trumpet standard of sorts. It does impress with its sound quality and responsiveness.

So consider this my effort to create accountability. I am practicing today from pages 52-53 and 63 in Arban's, along with the songs I am learning and enjoying. And I like what I hear from the horn from Gb below the staff to D above the staff. My Eb and E above the staff are not yet high quality reliable notes.

I may post to this thread again between now and February 18, but I certainly will on that date, if for no other reason than to gauge progress for my own purposes. Fellow TM'rs, feel free to criticize, heckle, ignore, join in, or encourage to your hearts' content!:D

Jim

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Why criticize? If you enjoy how you play, what else is there?

3. arlington

arlington Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2012
    Lancaster, OH
    You have to play a strad for 30 days? What torture.

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    A minty one at that!

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Well it might be torture if you knew you had to give the Strad back to someone after playing it for only 30 days.

--bumblebee

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Shiny Things

Ed,
    Enjoying how we play may certainly be the most important part, particularly for us hobbyists. For full-time working pros, there are probably days when trumpet playing is simply work, fulfilling as that may be. Hobbyists, however, may indeed find something else in trumpet playing activity. There is that historically bizarre social aspect that we each subscribe to as we participate in TM, for instance. Sharing experiences with like-minded folks can make trumpet playing activities richer for all.

arlington wrote,
    Sincerely, arlington, it is my privilege and pleasure to commit to playing the Strad for 30 days. Are you distracted by shiny things sometimes? I confess, I am. At this time of my life, I have acquired my share. I'll play one instrument for several days and then pick up another when the mood strikes, and there is nothing wrong with that. My purpose in the Strad pledge is to stick with this horn/mouthpiece combination for sufficient time to truly learn things of significance to me at my present skill level.

Jim

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This is precisely the approach that Jason Harrelson suggests when acclimatizing to his trumpets, particularly if you come to a Harrelson recently, and from another brand.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  8. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does playing only one horn everyday for a month make your horney? :shock:

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Re: Shiny Things

Trumpet playing as a professional has never been a job, although it is sometimes is work. What sucks sometimes is dealing with conceited musicians. Here at TM we get to relax, talk shop, maybe learn something, maybe teach something, and in the lounge, goof off.

As for the Strad, some are amazing and some play like really well made student horns. Living with the same trumpet/mouthpiece combination for a time is a good idea, but more modern doesn't always mean better.

10. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Job? Work? Passion.

Thank you for your post, Vulgano Brother.

I enjoy my work as a post-secondary educator. I have professional passion for it, and am fairly certain that this is the situation for professional trumpet players too.

I do not know if my Strad would be regarded by informed experienced others as amazing or a well-made student horn. Here is what I do know. My sixty year old Super Artist is a better trumpet than my ML1s, which are quite good. Resonance, intonation, and upper register slotting are all just a little better with the Super Artist, and the Strad is at least the Super Artist's equal.

Certainly I agree that more modern does not necessarily translate into better. A larger version of the photo of the Super Artist that appears in my signature line is below.

Jim

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013