Strad Pledge

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hi Jim, I've been playing Bach Strads for more than 25 years and don't have any need to change brands. I've strayed with other vintage horns, and I own some nice ones that are fun to play, but when it really matters, I always go back to the Bachs. I'm a 3C guy on trumpet, too, and have recently discovered the Curry 3C., which I like better than the vintage Bach 3C I've played for all these years. Anyway, my Bachs (Bb 43, C 239, and Bb 184G) all have that core sound we love, great slotting and intonation, and just a general security in playing that lets you concentrate on style and musicality. Hope your 30 day trial period comes out well.

2. Fuzzystump

Fuzzystump New Friend

Dec 25, 2012
    ...and here I am trying to find a trumpet to replace my 77/78 Bach Strad! Good luck with your 30 day's! For me it definitely takes some day's to truly start to appreciate nuances in different horns. I don't know if it's my lack of experience, skill, or the fact I've tried out some great horns that compare favorably to my Strad (or maybe I have a bad Strad?). :dontknow:

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Dale wrote:
    This is what I seem to be experiencing with my 180S37, too, though I am still developing my appreciation and understanding of the concept of "core". It is also what I experience with my old Super Artist.

I warm up with ascending major scales and listen to myself closely, many times with eyes closed, which helps me focus on the sound I produce . Sureness of striking notes, intonation note to note and valve combination to valve combination, and confidence and ease of playing across my range, and especially as range ascends, are where differences between my pro horns and the others becomes apparent. Another instance where those differences are apparent is when I am practicing slurs across various intervals, especially when those slurs do not involve valve manipulations.

To be clear, I own both the 180S37 and the Super Artist. This thirty day thing I lurched into yesterday is not so much a trial of a horn/mouthpiece combination as it is a case study of what I might accomplish by sustaining a commitment to a single combination for a period of time instead of frequently switching to and fro among the members of the small herd that presently occupies my brass-winds corral.

Jim

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Do you have lots of confidence in your mouthpiece/gap situation with your Strad, Fuzzystump? It can sure make a difference!
    Jim

5. Fuzzystump

Fuzzystump New Friend

Dec 25, 2012
    I use a Benge 3c, and once in a while a Schilke 14B...have never messed with 'the gap'. My strad plays great, i have no complaints, just wanting something different honestly. I think my search has ended with the Kanstul 1600 though... :)

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Just wish I still had my LB Strad to pledge to:roll::-(

7. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Like the look of the Super Artist.

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I think it looks kind of cool too, Sidekick. But what seals the deal for me is the way it plays!;-) My Strad is quickly winning similar depth of commitment from me...
    Jim

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I own both horns and have to say you have a very tough choice IMO even after 30 days. I haven't had my Strad as long as my Super Artist, but my initial impression is the SA has a "thicker", more robust sound vs. the Strad. The Strad is "tighter" than the SA which didn't surprise me due to the difference in the bore and tuning slides (SA is more rounded). You are in a win/win situation! One thing I have tried is using the original Blessing mpc #12 and it does play a little better than my regular mpc.. Enjoy your time with the Strad. You can't lose!!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am sure this is a design defect of that horn and in no way is a reflection of the musician. I mean, any horn without Olds in its name could not be perfect... as that is a tough standard to match.