Strad Pledge

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The good doctor's reasoning is difficult to refute, but one compelling, mature, winning response does come to mind...:bleah: :lol:
    Jim

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And there you have it... Once again... I ALWAYS respect the gifted intellect of those neighbors from Indiana... You see why it is tough for us Ohioians to compete... We don't... we just embrace our neighbors to the West and enjoy them excessively! Great answer as always Jim!

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well, that was fun...

Well, that was fun!

I'm a post-secondary educator. My big teaching load this semester is on Tuesday - no leisure time or time to practice. Tonight I'm back at it. During my range work, I've played the best E's above the staff I've ever played since beginning my comeback 20 months ago...and with my Strad/3C!:D Ahhh, there is happiness! Forgive my exuberance, please. It will pass soon enough. But I just had to share...
    Jim

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have this really snobby feeling about Bach Strads. I have never played one. I coveted one when I was in high school because that's what all of the "good" trumpet players seemed to have. I had a cheap Blessing student horn. Now, sometimes I would like to try a Bach Strad, but sometimes I think the Xeno must be better because it is very precisely made apparently, and sometimes I think that any modern mass-produced horn is probably not as nice as the vintage high-end horns. But really, I don't know, because I haven't had much chance to try many trumpets. But I do have a snobby reaction about being just one of the many Bach Strad owners. I guess I like quirky things.

I wonder if anyone else has that same visceral reaction as me.

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I've owned two Bach's, Misty. My current horn I can find no reference to. It's okay, but I long for something better. Memories of the LB Strad I had haunt me yet. After signing on here, I find myself jonesing for a Recording( like I could afford one):dontknow::roll::oops:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I do have that "snobbish" feeling about my Getzen 900H! Why? Because unless you have one too, my horn's better than yours!!! Bazinga!!!

Bazinga! - Meme Center

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I like quirky things, too, and that's why I have the collection of horns you see listed in my signature. Each one is different in its own way, and they're fun to play in various situations. You'll also see 3 Strads in that list. When it really matters, those are usually the horns I take to the gig. The good thing about the Bachs is that they aren't quirky, but they do have a personality in their sound that many other mass-produced horns lack. On top of that, they play very well, with an even blow, great slotting, and nice intonation. I'm not knocking other instrument brands and those who choose to play them, though - this is just my take on what works for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...;-)

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    How is the pledge going?

9. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Nicely, Misty. Thank you for inquiring.

As Dale and and some of the other posters have mentioned, many Strads seem to be predictable reliable instruments. My Strad and Super Artist distance themselves from others I own with these qualities. They are not magical nor quirky, at least not in my experience so far, they simply respond as they are supposed to while providing subtle enjoyable differences. They do not interfere with my developing musicianship, but rather, nuances of design and assembly augment my efforts. There is a sense of no limits. This is especially apparent to me as I practice my Arban's exercises. Clean slurs, clean attacks, sure slotting, fine intonation, pleasing tone top to bottom, and relative ease of range increase are what I experience.

It took me a while to develop appreciation for pro horns. Before acquiring the Super Artist, and then the Strad, I had been engaged in my comeback for many months and had experimented with many mouthpieces and several instruments. I was finding my way. I also read lots of stuff on the forums and elsewhere that helped build a certain depth of understanding. Much time was spent fooling around on ebay lusting after this or that shiny musical thing...I don't do this anymore.

Jim

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I find it interesting that we don't hear from many pros about equipment, unless they are endorsing. I scoured the forums recently looking for what horns our seasoned veterans play (Wilmer, Ed, and even Vulgano Brother, rowuk, and others) and they don't seem to talk about equipment! I'm not sure if they have each found their horns for life, or if equipment is the concern of us mere mortals (a distraction?) and stops being important after either the right horn is found or the right level of experience is achieved.