Strad Pledge

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Jan 19, 2013.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Misty,

you should get a bit from Robin (Rowuk) about his Monette set-up. He posted recently and made some reference to the trumpet and mouthpiece combination, and he has offered positive advice about the work Dave Monette and the team perform. As to the others - I think you're probably right - I too recall little mention, although The New York Trumpet Company may be one of Wilmer's favourites?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The pros I know rarely talk about equipment unless asked. Then the reply is they like the horn/mpc they are playing and there's no need to switch. They may even try another guy/gals gear and politely say it's nice, and go back to what they use.

3. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Take a Bow Jim, wait no in 30 day's you can take one :D.

Keep up the good work ,as a come-backer myself I'm really enjoying playing again ,mostly because i don'tr have too but its been a lot of fun to challenge myself to learn new things,notes,tone etc.

Good luck too ya !

Dean_0 :play:

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Misty,

Today I believe fully, as I have for some time, that there are three primary pieces in the trumpet playing puzzle, player, trumpet, and mouthpiece, and that the player is so much more important than the other two pieces that comparisons can scarcely be drawn. Considering trumpet and mouthpiece, well-reasoned arguments can be made for either being next most important. As a comebacker 20 months into his effort, I can say I had to gain experience and some level of skill playing trumpet before equipment advantages began to have much potential importance or effect.

My goal is to be a capable trumpet player. I am not much into collecting instruments and musical paraphernalia. There is no criticism that should be inferred from that statement concerning those who do enjoy collecting. It is just not for me at this time. Concerning pros, though, those guys and gals make their living as trumpet players. They have developed high levels of skill, endurance, confidence and artistry that the rest of us can only imagine. They also have to maintain those assets with lots of practice. Once gear is dialed in, there may not be much point in writing about it or messing with it.

Jim

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    As far as the player/mouthpiece/instrument interface is concerned there is one simple test. Playing "neutral" (whatever that is, because it is different for all of us) play a crescendo on some open tones. Do not lip them up or down. If the instrument goes sharp during the crescendo the backbore is too big. Stick a paper-clip in the backbore (yeah, it does mess with some pretty important stuff) and notice the change in response. All part of Vulgano Voodoo.

More important, I believe, is our sound concept. I had the fortune of studying under Gerald Webster, whose sound would grab one by the nether regions and say "listen to me" in a very convincing fashion, even at ppp. Jerry's Kids (as I like to call us) emulated that, and even as an average weight/height kind of guy, can play extremely loud with a broad as a barn good sound. We're talking loud like in having even trombonists take notice, OK?

As for gear, I play some custom mouthpieces by Reeves and Curry in the Bach 5-ish range and have a Monette leadpipe on my Schilke Bb. They are just tools, though.

The music happens because I can get the sound in my head out the bell.

6. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Jim, caught your thread upon its inception. Posting now only. "Sound quality" is the rub. I'm not saying it's there for everyone. But to my ears, there's a "something" about the Bach sound. Or the sound I make blowing through the thing. My Yammie Hagstrom may have had a leg up on it.

Now, who cares?

Our MD is a trumpet monster. Played a year or so ago on my B1 and he was very happy. Played 3 to 4 years ago on my Hagstrom, he was very happy. Played most recently on my Artisan, he was happy. He's got real ears too. Way better than mine.

I'm sure the audience is less aware and critical than he.

So over 4 to 5 seasons or so with 3 different axes, my playing gets the "happy eye and nod" from the guy with the stick.

I figure it's more us than the axe.

Still, to my ear, there's a thing the Bach has that my B1 lacks. The reverse can be said to from a different point of view.

Oh, about the "an old comebacker with a little cash for such foolishness," I relate!

So let's have some fun and make some music.

Given where I sit in the band, I listen most to tubas, bones, horns and saxes. If I can get stuff "ringing" with them, then I'm not too far afield.

Yeah . . . if I listen to our section, it can make me crazy de temps en temps.

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Dean_O,
    Work and commitment, certainly. But it seems to become a labor of love, if you will forgive the cliche. Over and over here in the forum you will read about the importance of keeping the fun and enjoyment in the trumpet playing experience, and there are as many ways of doing that as there are members! You appear to be on the right track. Best wishes to you as you come back.
    Jim

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Comeback, I've got my eye on a LB 25, but can't make up my mind to pull the trigger on it. it's in about the same time frame as the one I had, and looks like it's been pretty well cared for.:dontknow::oops:

9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Buck, can you get a 2 week or month trial?

10. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Buck,

Being unable to make up your mind might be an indication that it is not right for you at this time. On the other hand a Strad LB 25 is a little rare, I think. If after doing your homework no red flags pop up, and you can afford it and the purchase will not cause household disruption, it could be a good thing to do. Richard's encouragement concerning a trial period or maybe a purchase with return policy would be a good approach.

Your situation reminds me a little of where I was prior to purchasing the LB Super Artist I feature in my signature line. I had researched SAs and knew I wanted one in good original condition that was manufactured shortly after the third slide finger ring position was switched from the bottom to the top of the slide. I knew what I wanted to spend too and that there would be no objections from my Mrs. One came along and I bought it without hesitation. That 1952 Super Artist has worked out pretty well for me so far. Good luck!

Jim