Strad Pledge

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Jan 19, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What, I heard you on the Strad and Ambassador... What more do you need?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So has it replaced and now is your "go to" horn?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It has, for all the work I do with my Middle School students. I have played all the Strad versions. I like the 37 the best. But I would still choose the Ambassador over the Strad basically for the fabulous tone I can get out of the lower register that the Strad doesn't even come close to matching. Oh sure, the Strad outperforms the Ambassador above the staff with ease of playing and ring of tone... but believe it or not... the sexyness in playing is all in the lower range... THAT's what gets you HIGH.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Misty,

The "more" quickly becomes highly individualized, in my opinion, and is intimately associated with each player's unique approach to music as filtered through the trumpet/mouthpiece combination. The Strad, with its sure slotting, pleasing sound, and uniform predictable response across all my present range provides me a sure foundation from which to proceed with my attempts at music-making. There is no built-in quirkiness. All of the quirkiness that characterizes my playing is my own (this may be good, maybe not so much). Also, I perceive no limits from gear as I work to increase my range and general proficiency. It is just a good solid instrument/mouthpiece combination. What remains to be settled in my mind is whether the Strad helps me produce "my sound". Do I like a little brighter? Maybe a little darker?

My 1952 Super Artist is laying on the desk beside me as I write this. The S.A., with its vintage Blessing mouthpiece, is also a wonderful combination and helps me produce music with nuances different from the Strad. Over the last couple days, I've been playing my 2006 100th Anniversary model Blessing ML1. The sound I get from it seems darker, perhaps more mellow, than what I get from the Strad. Is this closer to the "sound" that rattles around in my head and that I aspire to produce? Could be! And you know, if this is the case I will play it, enjoy it, respect any critics, and then proceed just as I please. After all, in the final analysis, it is my music!

It takes a while to sort out who you are as a trumpeter, and the process may never be entirely complete. If your pockets have adequate depth, you can do a little research and "buy and try". If budget prevents this approach, which is not very efficient, you can stick with what you have and develop as a player until you sense that you are being limited by gear and you can identify deficiencies, and then proceed with more informed shopping for something better.

Jim

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    gee -- I read a lot about a pledge to use the STRAD for a month --- but I must have missed the PLEDGE to be consistent with practices -- and perhaps a PLEDGE to increase the practice times on the STRAD by 10 minutes, or a half hour. I also seemed to have missed the PLEDGE of the "goal" in terms of higher notes, or higher notes that YOU own --- or what the exact goal was to be accomplished in just a month, (ie. better sound, better articulation, higher notes, longer notes, etc.) --- however if Jim(Comeback) found himself fulfilled in playing the STRAD consistently for a month ---- THEN PERHAPS THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ---- play and be happy.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I was asking Comeback about his pledge.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I was asking Comeback about his routine and his plan -- other than the use of the STRAD.... ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Shame you missed it Buck. I play on a LB 25 as my main horn, and aside from needing a bit more air pushed through it, it's done me proud. You have to remember I play for fun, but it can out-power a 34 piece brass ensemble at full tilt, and I've found slotting secure, intonation mostly perfect (nothing that can't be sorted out with alternative fingerings), and a range of tones depending on what mouthpiece is used - from dark and full to bright and sparkling. However, I've now got my eye on a 70s LA Benge.... trumpet safari just about to start...I can see my wallet cowering in the corner!

9. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Oh, KT... I am very consistent with practice; maybe 60 minutes per day minimum for 6 days a week. This is really all my schedule permits. I thought I'd enunciated my goals clearly. They had more to do with ferreting out characteristics of the horn/mouthpiece than achieving specific playing improvement goals. My abilities have been increasing incrementally as I am faithful in practice and in working on material of steadily increasing difficulty. Playing the Strad steadily for a month was a happy satisfying experience.:-)

tobbylou8 wrote:
    HTML:
    So has it replaced and now is your "go to" horn?
    I'm not sure yet, Toby. The Strad really is great, but I like some of my other trumpets a lot, too. Right now I think I will focus on playing my 100th Anniversary ML1 for a month or so, and then maybe follow that with a month on the Super Artist. I am keeping a journal of my experiences and impressions, which may or may not mean much to me or anyone else in the long run. I'll probably just end up continuing to play whatever I feel like playing. Its not like whatever I do will alter the course of human events anyway.:lol:

Jim

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES -- SO YOUR PLEDGE WAS SUCCESSFUL!!! that's great -- play and be happy!! ((I have also done the very same thing with 1 instrument -- previous to this last year, when I have been switching often between trumpet and trombone) ----- but a year or so ago, when I did the 1 month or 2 months on 1 instrument ---- FOR ME, I realized no difference in playing -----------------------HOWEVER, I recently got N+1 (purchasing a 1055T -- King Silver Flair) -- which I say ------- even if the trumpet does not play any better than any other trumpet ---------------MY VIEWPOINT is that, I play better, with a different instrument!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL but that is just me, I guess.