Strad strad strad strad xeno xeno xeno

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    I'm in high school and everyone besides some freshman either have a Xeno or a Strad... People tell me a Bach Stradivarius is where it's at.

I was wondering, there's got to be some other company in the U.S. that all the pros favorite? Unless Bach Strads are really the only ideal trumpets for experienced players. (Highly doubt it though)

Tell me your trumpet brands and how you like them. Answer my question if you'd like.

2. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I have a Bach Strad 43 that I played in HS. I picked my playing back up about 18 months ago and now play a Burbank 6*G, which is recreation of a Benge CG made by Kanstul. I love the large bore and ultra light weight. Very responsive and can play from ver dark to very bright. I love my Strad 43 also, but they are most certainly not the only horn out there. Keep an open mind and try a bunch of horns.

Mark

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Where are you headed with your playing post high school? If a college or university music program is in your future, you may want to determine if there are trumpet preferences for programs you are interested in.
    Jim

4. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Be careful of generalities. No decent sized group of pros are going to agree on one brand being the ideal trumpet, experienced players or not. People have preferences, everybody is a bit different, right tool for the job, etc.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a Bach Strad 37. It's in my closet. I also have quite a few top shelf horns that also don't get played as much as my main horn, a Getzen 900H. There is no single "pro" horn that's better than the other. I played a friends Yamaha 8340EM. I didn't like it at all. Is it junk? Absolutely not. It just didn't work for me. The fun part in finding "your" horn is you get to play a lot of horns! In my high school band there where Strads, Conns, Selmers, Bundys, and my Getzen! Mine was /is he best if you ask me! Go play them all. Just sayin'…

6. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    There are maybe 20 or 30 brands that people favor. Bachs and Yamahas are great horns, but I highly doubt your high school friends have any idea what that means. I don't think mine did in high school. I played a Selmer Radial back then.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    What do you have against Strad's and Xeno's?

Both are quality trumpets that take well to mouthpiece changes and can be used in all playing situations (classical, jazz, big band, pep band, etc). That's part of the reason why they're so popular with serious students and many pro's.

At some point in your playing career you may decide that you're focused on one style of playing and you'll begin a safari looking for equipment that will be best suited to that style. For example, lots of lead players go with Benge, Calicchio, Scodwell, etc.

Doesn't mean those horns are better or worse than a Strad or Xeno.

8. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    My first pro horn was a used Strad 37 I purchased off ebay. I owned it less than a week, because it didn't respond or sound like I thought it should - not even close. That's when I really learned that not all Strad's (or any other horns) are created equal, because I had played three other Strad 37's before I bought mine, and really liked all of them. Bought a used Xeno locally, and loved playing it.

My teacher introduced me to both the Shires and the B&S Challenger line, and when I got the opportunity to get a new B&S, I did, and sold the Xeno.

Now I miss the Xeno because it was just.....different than the B&S. Not better or worse, but playing it gave me a different experience that I enjoyed. But I love the sound of the B&S and have no desire to part with it - we get along quite well when I do my part.

So, I'll reiterate what's already been said: Figure out what you want out of a horn, then play a bunch of them before you decide.

Then spend the rest of your life buying all the other ones you wish you owned. I feel confident that there's another Xeno in my future. And a flugelhorn. And a litany of Pawn Shop and Antique Store bargains that will give me mixed results, but greatly enrich my life.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man, you got it bad! ROFL!

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Absolutely. Too many generalities.

The OP talks about essentially "everyone" in his playing a Xeno or Strad. And the OP wonders if there's a horn that "all the pros" favor.

It's easier to find agreement on the national debt than to find a trumpet everyone thinks is the best. :-)

I agree with this, too. But the OP isn't alone. There are a number of examples on this forum of how personal bias (and not instrument quality) tends to dictate what horns we like. There's nothing wrong with that. Our personal biases drive a lot of our decisions.

Bach and Yamaha make great horns. The market backs this up. There are other great horns out there, too. Find one you like and that fits "who you are", and be happy your friends found horns they like.

Mike