Strad strad strad strad xeno xeno xeno

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Here's a webpage listing the equipment many pros are purported to use: http://www.trumpetplayersdirectory.com/trumpetplayersequipment.html

Today, I own 2 Bb's: A Schilke and a Bach. Both great horns. Both different. The Schilke's partials/slotting are zippy fast where the Bach's are firmer. The Bach's timbre has a denser body while the Schilke's timbre is . . . is . . . more lively (there, I'll use lively. The Schilke's blow is more open than the Bach.

About the high registers, neither horn provides a magic bullet to play higher than the guy next to you.

2. Needs Practice

Needs Practice New Friend

Oct 14, 2012
    San Jose CA.
    I suspect there is a lot of truth in this.

When my teach suggested it was time to step up from my Ambassador I bought the Yamaha. I considered it a "safe" purchase. I am an adult spending my own money, but for most high school and college students it is the parents who front up with the cash. I suspect that the going with one of the two mentioned by the OP is both safe and "socially acceptable".

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have owned only one Schilke, a B2. I can't think of a better description than "lively" for it. Maybe also, NIMBLE.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't mind owning a Schilke one day. They never seem to show up on c'list though. ;-)

5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I can't stress how important it is to go out to a music store (with a lot of trumpets) and try as many as you can.

When I was in high school, I was told the same thing as you. "The Xeno is where it's at". So I immediately went out and bought one WITHOUT TRYING A SINGLE OTHER HORN!! Don't get me wrong, it was a fantastic instrument, but throughout my high school years, I tried out multiple trumpets that I liked better.

Yes, a Strad or a Xeno would most likely fit your musical needs...but another horn could do even better. So try some out. Here's a list of some great makes(in no specific order): Bach, Yamaha, Kanstul, Schilke, Getzen, Jupiter, King, Carol Brass, Lawler, Flip Oakes. Many others.....
    You could also go the "vintage route": Conn, Olds, Buescher, Martin (Committee) etc... And if you happen to have a larger budget: Schagerl, Taylor, Harrelson, Hub Van Laar. These would be harder to find to test out, but you never know.

Good luck in your search, and have fun!
    Kujo

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    ricecakes230,
    Just for the sake of making your thread as perplexing as possible, don't forget that fiddling with mouthpieces and mouthpiece fitment can significantly affect performance and sound characteristics of whatever trumpet you chose. Example: a great trumpet + a mouthpiece ill-suited to you and the horn = lousy outcome.
    Jim

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    well, one of the guys sitting near me plays a Shilke, the other plays a Xeno, and based on what kind of sound comes out of those bells, I'll keep my Getzen Eterna, thank you very much.
    This does not mean I don't like those horns, just the individual player's sound, at times. Sorry.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Gigo

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Yes, sometimes I wish I could plug up my ears.......I had an opportunity to play the Xeno one night. Loved it. Still love the Eterna more.