Straight Mute on Arutunian

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Fusion2002, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Fusion2002

Fusion2002 New Friend

Dec 11, 2004
    Manny,

I was wondering what mute you use for the muted section of the Arutunian. I'm currently working it up for a recital in December, and I feel like my sound is too harsh on my Tom Crown Straight. Its not mellow enough, and tuning is tough sometimes... What would you recomend for this piece?

Thanks, Tom Henchal

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I, and most of the people I know, use a cup mute. But, if you're going to do it on a straight, try Dave Hickman's new mute, the Soto voce, or a Chicago or Montreal mute.

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I second that motion on the cup mute. :D

Intonation will be an issue no matter what mute you use. Setting the mood in that section is also important and should guide your decision in chosing a mute. To me, this section is sweet, musky, melancholy, distant.....Just sing above the pulse of the piano... and think of a mystical night dotted in stars with an Armenian flair.

4. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I also really like Solo-tone mute in that section. (I'm not kidding!) It sort of sounds distant and nostalgic - it's really cool color to use.

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Robert, I actually played a musical (Steel Pier) where it called for a "Solo Tone" mute and loved the sound of that little thing. It was like my sound was coming out of an old time radio. I always wanted to find other reasons to use it just because of how neat it sounded. :D

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'm a cup mute type for that sexy, slow-dance solo as well but the solotone mute is a wonderful idea! Bravo, RW!

ML

7. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I have to credit Chris Gekker for the idea. He mentioned it in a masterclass at Aspen.

8. Fusion2002

Fusion2002 New Friend

Dec 11, 2004
    Whats a solo tone mute?

Thanks for the replies... I'm hitting myself in the face at this point... After listening to the recording for the 500'th time, I just now realized that it is in fact a cup mute.... Thanks for the recomendations. I'll give a cup mute a try.

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    D'oh!

ML