Strange goings on in classical music world!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Rgale, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
  2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    :shock: :?: :dontknow: :-? :-(

ML

3. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    I don't normally turn down work, being a freelancer, but for the Jerry Springer Opera.......
    whew!
    On the other hand it might be good for laughs.

4. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I saw the Jerry Springer work in London a couple of summers ago. It is actually a very good piece of music IMO. The trumpet parts are ridiculously difficult!!! I am not convinced that there are trumpet players who can cut the book in every major city in the USA. It requires lead player type high chops and symphony orchestra type control and finesse. The intervals in both the orchestra parts and of the singers are tough...sort of like Sondheim meets Wozzeck.

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I think Bernstein's already been there and done that just based on that description. Did you actually get to hear the opera, PH? What was it like?

ML

6. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Yes, I heard it. The libretto was sort of a post-modern satirical assault on everything decadent about contemporary culture and the way mass media exploits and markets the lowest aspects of our culture. It was actually pretty good in this respect, although it seemed to make the same point repetitively throughout the work, getting just a little more vile each time...but maybe that is part of the theme.

The music was pretty good. It wasn't really the kind of thing you go home singing, for the most part. A lot of it was like Sweeney Todd on acid, but it required more skilled singers than that. The orchestra parts are very difficult (as I said) but they really work.

It isn't "atonal", but the harmonic language is challenging. It reminds me some of William Bolcom's "A View From the Bridge" (if you know that one) but with more comntemporary pop music influences.

I don't think it is the kind of thing that any old regional opera company will be able to stage...more because of the instrumental challenges than the vocal parts.

I actually suspect it might enter the repertoire if the orchestra parts aren't too hard to get performances.

Is Noel Langley still on this board? If so, he can probably comment a lot further. I believe the guy playing first trumpet on the (original) London run of this show is a friend and former student of Noel's.

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Ummm...Women of the Canton, Ohio Symphony calendar??? Could this be a coming trend?

A bit more seriously on that (humorous though it is), what issues does that raise? Where is the union on this?

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    [quote="tpter1" what issues does that raise? [/quote]

Don't, Manny... resist... must... not... say it....

ML

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I...hey!...wait a minute!...DOH!

10. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    You resisted temptation like a man, i.e. none too well..... :D