Strange Jazz

Discussion in 'Horns' started by knf jazz cat, Jan 4, 2004.

1. knf jazz cat

knf jazz cat New Friend

Dec 16, 2003
    I have a Callet Jazz that's quite different. First off, it's stamped w/464 meaning that it ends on a 464 bore rather than the normal 470 bore that most Jazz horns have. Second, my horn has an interesting "skin" While normal Jazz horns come in either Silver or Gold plate, mine is lacquer, and not just any lacquer, this lacquer is the deepest gold color that I've ever seen, it definitely appears to be original too. I talked to some people that know Callets really well, and they all were quite suprised w/my horn. I even talked to my teacher (Ken Brader) a man who owns 3 Jazz's himself, and know Jerry Callet personally, and he's never seen another one like mine. ANYWAY, I was wondering if anybody knew anything about what could be with my horn.

2. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, knf jazz cat!

Jerry Callet was always one to experiment. I had a Symphonique C trumpet that had a .464 bore valve section. It appeared to have been one of a kind, as well. Is your bell the same flare and diameter as a standard Jazz/Soloist... 4 7/8"? It may be a Superchops body, with a Jazz bell. Does it have the heavier receiver of the Superchops?

As for the finish, there were occasional horns that went out in lacquer, or raw brass... very few, as a matter of fact. That particular horn could have been part of a Callet Flugel order. The lacquered Callet Flugels had a darker golden lacquer.

I know that Ken has had several Soloist trumpets, which he prefers over the Jazz. Please be sure to tell Ken that I said "Hello!"

Best always,
    Bruce

3. knf jazz cat

knf jazz cat New Friend

Dec 16, 2003
    Bruce,

Thanks for your input. :) I think my horn must have been one of Jerry's experiment. It has a Jazz body, just w/the 464 bore and the leadpipe/reciever is a "Jazz" one, not a Superchops one. And the whole deal w/the dark gold flügel lacquer is pretty neat. I guess I have "collector's Callet" hehe I still would never sell it/trade it, I love it's sound way too much. If you want I can send you a picture of the horn.

-Kris

4. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    played the Jazz in community band

My jazz ensemble was off for the night so I made an appearance and took my recently purchased older Jazz with me.

I grabbed third book last chair and I had a good time playing old marches and "Salute to Hoagy Carmichel (sp?) for two hours in a middle school cafeteria. And I had to just about laugh a few times.

The Jazz likes to announce it's presence. Only a few times did I go above the staff and it lit up when I did. I also had intonation problems. I had grabbed a Bach 5c and had never played it on the Jazz so it was my fault. Had to concentrate and listen. Seemed like my 1st valve notes were off for the first few songs.

What I really like is the feedback I get and the bore design seems to really give just the right amount of back pressure at levels above mp.

I kind of felt like I was on SeaBiscuit-- "Easy fella, hold back hold back."
    Or using a deep sea fishing pole to fly fish. But all I need to do is adapt a bit.

I took the Jazz with me because my Calicchio has dark sound and wanted to try the Jazz; all the others play silver horns also.

Bottom line- I fit right in and had a good time after being away for four months. "Are you back with us?" "nope, just visiting." I replied.

Riverside Community Band- the oldest community band in the nation. That's what the info sheet say's so it has to be true. :) =/- 1875.

edit--just realized I was reading the Strange jazz trend when I posted. sorry, i'll delete and edit it out of here later. Not going to retype it elsewhere.

5. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, Mark!

Nah... that's a great post about the Jazz! You're in the right forum... Callet... and, strange Jazz/old Jazz... works for me. You describe the horn well. It does "like" a smaller mouthpiece to really dial things in. Not necessarily diameter-wise, but cup-volume-wise there's a better balance with the horns resistance, or lack of resistance, with a mouthpiece that has less cup-volume.

Callet horns do seem to have an overdrive, too! :D

Thanks, Mark!

Best always,
    Bruce