Strange patch

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bangmaker, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Bangmaker

Bangmaker New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    I am searching for a new trumpet and have found one I like, a Kanstul French Besson Meha. I have heard they are great horns, but one thing that worries me is that the bell of the tumpet has a patch with the usual engraving (Paris-France, Besson, so on). The seller insists that the patch is not covering anything, but the bell may have been replaced or something. The serial number of the tumpet is 1,XXX.[​IMG]

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I have never seen that on a trumpet before, but I am not an expert in besson.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I am not familiar with Besson, but have never seen a trumpet with a patch like this, it would have to affect the vibration of the bell..IMO. Looks suspicious.

It would be good to hear from someone who has one.
    Cheers

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

5. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi,

I used to own one of these fine horns. In my view, someone has had a replacement bell installed and had the tech cut out the engraved portion of the old bell and applied it to the new one. If the cutout were removed the story may be clearer as to the donor bell.

"Caveat Emptor" - Let the buyer beware!

Cheers,

Brian

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    I agree with you all! May be wise to decline such an instrument.

"A fool and his money are soon parted." Thomas Tusser

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. Bangmaker

Bangmaker New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    Thanks all. I am wondering if I could have the patch removed without harming the bell. Would this be very costly, or would it have an effect on the sound?

8. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    It would definitely effect the sound. The problem is no one can tell you how. I would guess that it would brighten the sound, but that is only a guess. I do know that anything you do to a horn will effect it in some way.

9. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    does the horn play well with the patch? theoretically that's all that should matter, although knowing about the patch and why it's there could help if you ever need to explain it.

10. Bangmaker

Bangmaker New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    I haven't played it or heard it played. I guess my best bet is to find another trumpet. THANKS very much for the help.[​IMG]