strange vibrations???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet, May 7, 2008.

1. mctrumpet

mctrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 5, 2008
    FL
    For some reason i cannot figure out in the past three weeks my trumpet playing has changed drastically and i cant figure out how and why. My range used to be a clean G above high C but now with a good sound its a top line F! Ive started getting vibrations from other parts of my lips. A little bit to the left of the mouthpiece rim a part of my lip thats not in my embouchure just recently start vibrating when i go above a top line F. Also I havent change anything in my routine in the past three weeks the only thing that i changed was my mouthpiece from a Bach 3c to Monette B4S. Help?

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    What was wrong with the Bach 3C to make you change to a Monett?
    I could see going to a 3D but why the change to a different manufacturer?

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    What was wrong with the Bach 3C to make you change to a Monette?
    I could see going to a 3D but why the change to a different manufacturer?

4. mctrumpet

Apr 5, 2008
    FL
    One day a few months ago we had a guest trumpet player at our school and i asked him if i could play on his monette B4S and i liked it alot so i bought one

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Have you read and applied the stuff on the monette site? that stuff can really help you with your playing and not just the "equipment's playing"
    Also, is this after playing for a while or does it start immediately whenever you play?

6. mctrumpet

Apr 5, 2008
    FL
    yes i have read all of the information on the monette site and have tried to apply it

it starts when i try to go above the staff

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Ok, do you tense up physically when you go above the staff (not your lips, your whole body)
    Another thing to try would be the pencil exercises to try to strengthen your lip muscles which might be part of the problem, there has been at least one thread recently about that and NickD has a video on it (i think) on youtube. I've found it useful before