Strategies for slippery third valve 'inner' slide?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigtiny, Jul 19, 2013.

1. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Hi all,

i have a Selmer K modified horn which I really dig. It has the old style third valve slide ring which is attached via a lyre holder. It also has, I recentrly found out, one of the smaller slides at the very end of the third valve slide assembly. This smaller slide has become very loose and slick and just falls out of the horn.

Any strategies for getting this thing to say in place? I've tried greasing it up with vaseline, but that didn't help much.

bigtiny

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Take it to a shop, they can expand the inner tubing. Someone probably polished the inner tubes until the diameter became too small for the outer tubes to hold them firmly. An easy fix at a shop--but not something you should try at home.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Anhydrous lanolin is thicker than vaseline. You could also just use a hair band if you don't want to expand the slide.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Interesting as I just noticed on my Olds Super -- the 3rd slide has two slides on it -- although mine doesn't fall out -- I just found it interesting. I figured out why, as you could Tune it to the D and E and A flats in the lower register (and then use the finger slide to move it all for the low C# and such) --- so the design seems like a great idea ---- and just wondered why it wasn't incorporated into more horns (I know, start a new thread instead of derailing this one)

I agree with the above to have the tubes expanded (my King Silver Flair 2055T) has a 3rd valve slide "occasionally fall out", but I did sit next to a instrument repair tech the first year, and he said --- "all I have to do is expand the tubes a fraction and I could fix that for you" --- so that must be true!!!

5. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    I had the same problems with my strad, and I CAREFULLY pulled the slides apart just a fraction of an inch so there is tension pushing out. Kept it from falling out and saved money!

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Some people pay to have the tension (around slides and braces) taken out of their horns...

7. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    This Is true, however since this slide in particular does not need to move easily and quickly, a small amount of tension seems acceptable? But what do I know I'm not a repair technician :p

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hetmans#9 if you can find it. It isn't made anymore but could be in a dealers stock. Hetmans#7 is the replacement for #9. I use it on a second slide on my Severinsen and it works great. Very sticky and stays in place a looooooong time!

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Stress on the horn causes it to vibrate differently, affecting the performance.

10. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    My Olds Super and Studio both have super free sliding third valve slides. The sound of a slide tinkling onto the floor after you put the horn onto its sound is horrible. The Studio now has a hair band and the Super has a loop of dental floss. Both work for me.

Whoops, editing because I just re-read and realised that you're talking about the little dump slide. I'll leave this one to the tech experts.

tj

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013