Strength is my enemy, weakness is my friend.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kctrump, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    She's probably baffled that we trumpet players can get so mixed up that we can't even breathe right!

Isn't it amazing that we (including me!) sometimes make it so hard to do something so easy.

2. kctrump

kctrump New Friend

Nov 6, 2005
    Manny,

With the examples you gave as coughing and sneezing this whole concept is very simple. I have know idea why I made it difficult....yes I do. I'll share. In my late teens and into my thirties I spent a lot of time in the gym lifting. During a heavy lift, in order to support my back and base, I was taught to expand the abs against the weight belt in order to provide support. It works and really helps to lift safe and a lot of weight.

Somehow....<G>....I made the connection playing in the upper register is similar to squating 400 lbs. This mental wall I put up will be hardest to bring down, but I will keep working on it....one brick at a time.

Thanks a ton!^)Warren

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A 400 lbs double C is a pretty big wall! Maybe the weight belt would give us something to push against?.
    Didn't Maynard have a hernia belt on when he played?

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    But see, Warren, the point is that you're not alone. I think that many things come into play to spur people to play that way. First and foremost, the resisitance increases the inter-oral pressure and it's very natural to push back against that. And that's the problem: we naturally think of pushing against it instead of blowing against it. Instead of behaving like a full balloon emptying out its air we become more physical and push. We need, many of us, to be taught to relax and blow.

If you think of many of the stereotypical trumnpeters you see in movies or television (played by actors not real trumpeters), where's the "excitement" in seeing someone like Sergei or Al Vizzutti play? These guys are so natural that it barely seems like they're working (we know better!). So, for many of us, the first time we pick up a horn to play our memories of watching people work hard is hard to avoid. Knit those eyebrows, puff those cheeks, bear down and squeeze your butt cheeks!

Like Bruce Lee, the great martial artist, would say, "If you're not being successful working a technique, try softer.

ML

5. kctrump

kctrump New Friend

Nov 6, 2005
    Manny,

I will apply your advice. Great stuff. Thank you for your time!

Warren

6. Bugleboy21

Bugleboy21 Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2005
    Fort Eustis, VA
    "Water is soft, yet it can cut stone...."

That is a great concept from an incredible source. Who would argue that? You'd be liable to receive that famous spinning hook kick from Bruce himself.

On a serious note, you cannot play the opening to Schumann 2 if you set up your breath "strongly" to maintain solid notes at pp. You have to allow the breath to float out of your body as it naturally collapses to it's resting state.