strength!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Sep 26, 2008.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    How many of you incorperate some kind of hardcore strengthexercise in your practise routin?

And NO!, I do not mean the good old slurring and long soft tones but things like for example Craig Morris writes about: LivMusic Article - Dueling with Pinchas

holding notes untill the facemusckles starts to burn and stuff like that.

Looking forvard to as many replies as possible!

2. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    When I was younger, I had a very nice sound and an overall register. Then I meet my friend, at that time was my teacher, who introduced to me in the "Trumpet Gym", let's say: studying the trumpet as if you were a bodybuilder.
    HARD WORK, but incredible result.
    Currently I'm working in a method to share my knowledge with others. If you wish, download the archive .zip to see my dayly "warm-up"...
    Best regards

Attached Files:

3. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    You mean like Carmine Caruso stuff? Oh yeah...ouch!

4. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    yeah, right on...i do the pencil trick and it makes my buccinators HUGE...but i still can't play the trumpet worth a crap...guess strength doesn't equal good trumpet playing :dontknow:

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Only the pencil trick.

BUT I have noticed that if I am not playing 3 hours a day, the power exercizes hurt more than they help.

The logic is simple: the more powerful the muscle, the slower it reacts. Great playing requires microsopic movements to compensate for pitch, tone color, volume, room size,...................... If the power development is not balanced with a proper routine to heighten sensitivity, we have the chops of a brainless thug.

Balance is ALWAYS the answer.

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Caruso - makes my lips hurt sometimes (not usually anymore, now that i've gotten used to it)
    but it definitely is a gym-style work-out for the lips

7. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    I do not use them very often myself...but as with most exercices I find them interesting....almost everything is interesting :lol:

8. RobertSlotte

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    I understand your point but I do not agree on one thing. Strong muscles do not get slower, infact it is the opposit (yes, I am a bodybuilder, I have trained for many years and I have read tons about muscelfibers).
    Look at 100meter sprinters, they got BIG and strong muscles and they move them fast...VERY fast ;-) thats just one example. Im not going to go into details about maximising strength in benchpress by speed exercices)

On the otherhand: Strong muscles gets shorter if not streched much...In our embouchure that would mean: stiffer and not so flexible Which ofcourse is a BAD thing for the embouchure.

how to strech your embouchure would be cool to know...it would be usefull for thoes who use strenght exercicing. I guess one could experiment trying different moves with the facemuscles and maby use the fingers to help...sounds a bit funny outting it that way but I think it could not hurt :roll:

9. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    These exercises are something like Claude Gordons Where you sustain the last not till failure.I may use them from time to time,but to be perfectly honest they are way to boring for me to play on a daily basis.I prefer to play thru some challenging etudes or charastics studies to build up endurance along with long tones and tounging.But that dont mean they do not work.I just prefer to practice something more musical.

10. Gary Schutza

Gary Schutza Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2007
    Kansas City
    I actually do quite a bit of strengthening work. In my job you really can't just "get tired". You can't tell the music director that you screwed up because you were a little tired. When I was younger I worked through the Maggio system and still think it's the best of the "systems" (caruso, gordon, etc....)Now days, I just try and employ weight lifting principles to my playing. I try and tire myself out every other night (last thing before quitting), then I try and take it easy the next day. The cycle is breaking down the muscles one day, then letting them rebuild for 48 hours; then repeating this for weeks, months, years, decades, centuries–forever! and by the way, I mean muscles tired, NOT BLOODY!!!

I used to be concerned with getting "muscle-bound", but I find that the best thing about building this kind of strength is that it allows you to play truly relaxed. If you are strong enough to play anything 10 times over and you then relax by 50%, you are still plenty strong to do the job, but now with a lovely relaxed sound. I'm exaggerating a bit, but I hope you get the idea.

good luck

chip