Stretched valve cap threads, can this be fixed?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by duderubble, Jan 28, 2013.

1. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    So, let me just start with this: We've learned our lesson. Please just make it better this one time and I swear niether of us will do it ever again.

My son, 13, was cleaning his Yamaha 5335S and a bottom valve cap was stuck. So, without coming to me for help, he got out pliers to take it off (strike one). It gets a little unclear at this point but I think what happened was when it let loose the pliers slipped and banged the neighboring valve casing at the threads (strike two), again without telling me he attempts to fix it with the pliers, leaving a flat spot where the casing is out of round (strike three).

At this point he brings it to me and gets a lecture about asking for help and taking it to a pro if neccessary. Which advice I immediately begin to ignore myself and attemp to fix it (I know we're past three strikes here, but just go with it). So I decide to tap a a cone (actually a cake decorating tip) into the valve casing to true it up. Great success! The valve casing was perfectly round, and there was much rejoicing. Which rejoicing was short lived when we attempted to replace the bottom cap. The tapping had ever so slightly expanded the threads so the valve cap would not fit. We attempted to heat the cap to get it on but cut our losses after that.

The good news is that the horn plays fine without the cap. The bad news is it looks bad and of course it is the third valve witch is most visible. It is only the bottom one-two threads that are stretched. How difficult a repair is this going to be?

We have a tech that works intermittently out of a music shop in our small town but I haven't always been impressed with his work. Down the road an hour in Springfield (MO) there is a much better tech. I'd rather not make the trip twice and have him be without the horn for a long time.

What are your thoughts?

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Sorry to hear about this. We've all been there.

If you like the Springfield tech, give him a call. Maybe you can schedule an appointment for him to fix it while you wait. Then you only have to make one trip, and not be without the horn.

Mike

3. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    That's probably the best idea, but do you think it's fixable?

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes, it can be rethreaded.

5. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    That's great to hear.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I bought a horn on eBay that had that same "fix" by someone - the bottom threaded portion of the valve body had been enlarged in an attempt to make it round. The threads were a little bunged-up, too. I took it to the local shop and they ran a thread die around it, and the cap screwed right on! Took about a minute to do.

7. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    That makes me feel much better

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Let me qualify my last statement. I took it by a local instrument repair shop and they fixed it in about a minute. Not a music store with a "repair guy" in the back...I don't know if that kind of place would have the tools to fix it or not.

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    [​IMG]

A good tech has special tools to fix... We've all been there!

10. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Yeah, I think I'll go to Springfield where they have a full time certified repairman with a fully equipped shop.