stripping lacquer for a frosted look

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by New2jazz, Sep 21, 2012.

1. New2jazz

New2jazz New Friend

Apr 25, 2012
    hi, does anyone know how to remove lacquer to turn a trumpet bell from very very shinny brass/gold colour to a dull frosted colour. i've heard this can help darken and enrich the sound.

any advice much appreciated

thanks in advance

paul

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I send mine to Tom Green. Here is the work he did for me on my Olds Ambassador:

[​IMG]

Is this the effect you are talking about?

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Stripping the lacquer won't darken and enrich the sound of your existing trumpet.

4. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I have removed the lacquer from many horns, I have boiled them in water with baking soda and have used a lacquer stripper, both have worked very well. As far as the sound, I suspect you will not notice any difference unless you have a very sharp, discerning ear. I have read many opinions and talked to numerous players that are 'better' and certainly more informed than me and I think the consensus by most was that removing the lacquer makes the horn more responsive and not 'deadened' by the lacquer. I probably would read this as making the horn sound brighter. I think you will have more success with a darker tone by selecting a different mouthpiece.

Ray Z :play:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you send them out like I do, stripping enriches the pocket of the person I hire to do the stripping. There is nothing wrong with keeping our economy stimulated... and at the same time improving the beauty of our environment. Hug trumpets... Not trees... [OK, you can hug tress to... but not necessarily at the same time as hugging the trumpet at the risk of denting the horn... trees don't dent]

6. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Yeah, it's cosmetic. I did it to my Getzen 900sb just because I like the look. Buy a Committee and use a big mpc if you want dark ;)

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or play your Getzen 900sb (Great horn by the way) in a room with no windows... hit the only light switch.... You can't get any darker than that, for a fraction of the price AND save on electricity!

8. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Hahaha!

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The best way to get a horn with a darker, richer sound is to go out and find a horn with a darker, richer sound - it's not really going to happen by simply changing the finish a bit, and with a lacquered horn, color me silly, but wouldn't that actually make it brighter to take off the lacquer?

10. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Taking of laquer won't make a significant change in tone, I'ld say. Though you might argue that. Personally, I often like the look of raw brass (without the laquer) more and when it's laquered.

Btw, baking soda is just the stuff you put on your fries and egg and all right? Sorry for me being Dutch :lol: