struggling with the instrument!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Babak_Vandad, Jul 16, 2017.

1. gwood66

gwood66 Pianissimo User

Dec 21, 2015
    South of Chicago
    The "Circle of Breath" is buried in a number historical posts on this site. It is worth the time spent searching. John Daniels has some videos on breath attacks and articulation on YouTube. Those may be helpful as well. It all comes down to coordination of breathing, tongue and lips.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. Vivek Patel

Vivek Patel Pianissimo User

Jul 8, 2017
    Porterville, CA
    Also, don't become too enamored with the slick videos of name artists you see on YouTube. Many of these artists have access to the highest quality audio engineering and production technology, and their marketing/legal teams take exhaustive measures to make sure that only the best performances ever make it to YouTube. You and I will never hear the outtakes, the cracked notes, the off nights. And you and I will never have the luxury to sculpt our public image in this way...

3. gwood66

gwood66 Pianissimo User

Dec 21, 2015
    South of Chicago
    I don't believe John Daniel is one the individuals you are referencing.

Vivek Patel likes this.
  4. Brassman64

Brassman64 Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    Thin C sounds like you are tightening up and maybe using too much pressure as you play higher. Don't worry so much about range.Work on proper breathing techniques to support your tone and play longtones to build endurance and slurs to build flexibility. Read Rowuks circle of breath.

5. Babak_Vandad

Babak_Vandad New Friend

Sep 18, 2016
    Thank you all for these useful comments.

As I mentioned in my post, and as you've all suggested, I'm not concerned with range and accuracy at this moment, as I'm satisfied with the gradual improvement. But my main problem is the pressure I'm putting on the mouthpiece. I'm not sure that this is the issue. I'm not sure that it really is too much. But the point is, that the sound is not flawless. I feel the struggling and the person who hears it feels that struggling. I suppose, the player and the sound may not be so.

I'll do as you all said, the long tone practices, study on attacks, that circle of breath instruction, John Daniel videos, ... they are all helpful to now and do.

P.S: Here is a youtube video by Brian Shook. When he is performing with too much pucker, it's fairly like how I sound. Just found the video.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 3:02 AM
  6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Something to consider here is something that you posted in your original post - you've been playing 10-11 months. In the grand scheme of things where a musical instrument is concerned, that's not a lot of time. I think that a lot of people forget just how long it took them before they started to get a good sound or gain a sufficient amount of technical facility, and I think we forget or overlook that because many of us were young kids when we started. I started on cornet when I was 11, and it wasn't until I was well into my 3rd year before things really started to click for me, and it was another 2 years before I'd become what was considered to be "good" for a young high school student.

Adults wrongly (IMO) think they can circumvent the time aspect of it - they figure that they have better focus and discipline than a kid does, so therefore they think that if they just push themselves in a disciplined way, they'll improve at a faster rate. That's not really the case, and it still takes time to get things working well.

In my own case, I started drumming at the age of 33. By that point I was an experienced working trumpet player, so I just assumed that I'd automatically play drums with good musicianship as soon as I'd worked out some of the coordination aspects of being a drummer.

Nope.

About a year or so into it, I started drumming for a church who put out a CD ministry every Sunday, so I was able to get my hands on sound board recordings of the band. While I was getting the job done ok - it wasn't "bad," (I was listening to it critically to see what I was doing wrong and what I was doing right) but I was 4-5 years before I'd refined my drumming technique to a point where I didn't cringe when I'd listen back to some of the recordings.

Just keep after it. Record yourself as often as possible and check your progress, and take some lessons if you aren't already. A teacher will have the experience to help you streamline the work you are doing in the practice room so that you maximize your efforts.

Babak_Vandad and Kesh like this.