STS Option

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Mikester, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Mikester

Mikester New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    MI
    What is the recommended model to start with: TL1, TL5, TL6, or TL6R?

If the base horn was not a TL6R, is adding a screw-on bell enough to get the desired effects of the rose brass?

I think "Pushy Red" has a satin gold TL1-STS with #5 bell in silver and #1 bell in satin gold (shiny gold on the inside). This may be a very versital combination for someone who plays legit settings and lead settings.

Would appreciate feeback from those who have owned or played one of these models.

Thanks.

Mike
    www.bigbandofpraise.com

2. bkmdano

bkmdano New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    Hi Mike,

The TL6r shares the same body as the TL1. Adding the STS to either will give you the versitility for different venues. 8)

3. Mikester

Mikester New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    MI
    Thanks Dan.

My desire was to combine the features of the 21B I had with those of the 26BL's I also had. When the TL6r came out, I knew it was a matter of time before I bought one.

The difference between starting with a TL1 vs. a TL6r would be the Yellow vs. Rose brass for the first portion of the bell. I do not know how this will affect the end STS product. Does anyone else?

Mikester
    www.bigbandofpraise.com

4. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, Mikester!

Michelle's "base" STS trumpet features a Heavyweight TL1 bell. With the STS option, the forward brace is moved back a bit, allowing more of the bell to vibrate/resonate. Because she was looking for an orchestral sound, I recommend the heavyweight option to provide a more focused, stable sound quality.

Keep in mind that the bell taper and bell throat/flare have more of an effect on the sound than material, especially in the mid and low range of the horn. The TL6 bell has a faster/larger taper, and more open throat. The TL5 has a slower rate of taper, and a later bell flare, which yields a more focused, yet bright sound. The TL1 bell has a very average taper, and bell flare, like a Bach 37. It blends very well with other horns.

Red brass is going to enhance the lower overtones, while yellow brass will have a quick response, with more highs in the sound. Likewise, a heavier bell will emphasive the lower partials, and add more focus.

The leadpipe/bell combination, coupled with the player/mouthpiece must also be matched to provide the proper balance.

Because the TL6R-1A produces a warmer, slightly more diffused sound, I would tend to recommend optional bell sections that favor the brighter end of the spectrum, if you are looking for a change.

Hope this helps!

Best always,
    Bruce

5. Tampahorn

Tampahorn New Friend

Jan 10, 2004
    Tampa florida
    I have the STS with a #1, a 6r, and a 4h bell. The 4h is the heavy weight bell and appears to have larger bell flare than the #1. If you are looking for a set up for legit playing this bell is excellent. It has a nice dark sound but is more focused than the lighter weight bells. With a heavy weight bell there is some compromise in responsiveness, as Roy explained when I ordered it. I just thought I would chime in about the 4h as there may be some players that my be interested in that type of sound. I must admit that I am a stong advocate of the STS conversion. There are players that have separate horns for commercial and legit playing, with this option you can change the character of the horn for less than a few hundred dollars.

6. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hi Ray, and All!

For clarification purposes, I just wanted to mention that the 4H bell was previously a 24H, and that the 24 model was the predecessor to the 21. When Roy switched over to the Getzen valve sections, he decided to change the model numbers to distinguish between the new and older models. Obviously, the "2" was dropped from the model numbers.

A heavyweight bell will have a larger bell bead, which will make the bell slightly larger than the standard weight bell. Also, with the STS models, since that design option is a bit more "free", in terms of bracing, the heavier bell is a great choice for the more "legit" sound.

The STS option does provide a great alternative to owning several horns. Additionally, the STS "coupling" does provide stability, and does not affect the horn in a negative way. I WAS concerned about this, prior to actually playing one. No more... it's a great option!

Hope this helps!

Best always,
    Bruce

7. bkmdano

bkmdano New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    Hey Bruce,

Roy just sent me an older 24 bell. I like it. It gives me more of a Bach like or legit sound. It also feels a little different, maybe a touch more resistance. The 6r bell is a wonderful jazz/ballad sound, very warm but with some edge and very open. Maybe one day I'll try the new 5r and have a full set. :lol: