Stubborn black deposits on my silver trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bflatman, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Hi guys,

I hope you can advise.

I have a silver trumpet dating from around 1965, the finish is generally good with hardly any tarnish, but there are several spots of a hard black deposit sitting in various places on the horn.

They are very hard like cement, and so far i have been unable to shift them, although I havent done much to it for fear of damaging the silver under the spots.

There are several sitting in the bell rim, so i have applied a silver polish there, and its had no effect, so its not ordinary oxidation, but appears as hard as nails.

How might I remove these deposits, would the aluminum foil help, I have my doubts on this but I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

Brian

2. Gunner

Gunner New Friend

Apr 27, 2010
    Cinci, OH and Louisville
    Been there, done that. Take it to a quality repair shop and have it sonic cleaned.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And don't allow any rubber near it in the future!

4. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Thanks gunner, ill take yr word and do that.

Thanks Ed for the advice, I never let rubber near my horns, although I never thought rubber would harm a horn. It arrived in this condition, a snip on ebay and it plays nicely.

Thanks for your swift replies.

Brian

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I don't suppose it would happen with pure rubber, but many processed rubbers contain sulphur as is the culprit that stains and builds up on silverplate and is the devil to remove. Whether sonics will or not, I don't know and it may take buffing and replating to totally eradicate. This only adds to the misery of maintenance of silverplate as is one of the reasons I don't now have any horns that are (I sold the old silverplated tuba I had recently). However, I agree with regular polishing with Hagertys or Wrights, the more often, the easier this task is.

6. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    I have used toothpaste to remove stubborn tarnish. I have a silver Yamaha Bobby Shew and it seems to collect lot of tarnish. I saw this technique used on some show on Home and Garden that my wife likes to watch or maybe on This Old House. Anyone else ever tried this?

7. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yup. used it on mouthpieces, slides, valves, whatever, its great. just make sure the kind you use isn't that gritty. i find Glister works best, cause its less abrasive

8. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Peanuts, you are da man.

Ive tried the toothpaste thing and it works like a dream, many many thanks.

Brian