stuck 2nd valve tuning slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nbcrty, Nov 20, 2013.

1. nbcrty

nbcrty New Friend

Nov 8, 2013
    Hello guys,
    this is my first post on the trumpet master website. Today my Olds Ambassador the 2nd valve tuning slide is stuck, I tried giving it a bath to get rid on the gunk and many other things. The slide is still not moving at all. Does anybody know how to fix this without harming the trumpet.
    thank you,

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes - take it to the instrument repair shop and spend the 15 bucks or so tobget it fixed

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Absolutely!

4. BitLion

BitLion New Friend

Nov 13, 2013
    San Diego
    A while ago my horn's tuning slide was stuck. I took it down to the Windsmith (down in San Diego) and they fixed it - for free!

And trumpetsplus the red text in your sig speaks to me. Haha

5. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Put boiling hot water over it that does the trick, really.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Don't do this. You will remove the lacquer on old horns.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Easiest and safest bet is to the shop.

If you want to try it yourself- try to get some oil on the joint. Slip a handkerchief through the opening in the slide. Give it quick sharp tugs - but not hard enough to break any joints loose. If no luck, you might also want to try the hot water by immediate tug. I am assuming it has only recently become stuck and we aren't talking about something that may have been frozen for 40 years. Search around on the site and you can find other steps that may also work. I have only had one slide that I was not able to eventually get loose- even after weeks of penetrating oil and heating with a torch (don't you try).

Again, easiest and best is the shop.

8. BitLion

BitLion New Friend

Nov 13, 2013
    San Diego
    Taking it to the shop will be the best option, it will be decently cheap.

My friend in marching band had an old student mellophone with a stuck tuning slide. The coach attempted to tug it out, but instead, bent and wrinkled the tuning slide in two joints, creating a leak.

9. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    Other than for cleaning purposes, why would the 2nd valve slide need removing? Maybe I'm not understanding the question but I'd just leave it alone.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    IF you try to fix it, be REAL SURE the slide is secure in the handkerchief so it doesn't go for a "ride" in the air!!!!