stuck 2nd valve tuning slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nbcrty, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've never considered the second valve slide to be a tuning slide, albeit its length does closer set the tone(s) of the second valve. For me, about all I can ascertain from it is the bore size of my instrument. Otherwise, on a trumpet seemingly it is about equal to extreme to that of the bell bow, but I've known this damage to be so severe that it jams the inner tubing into the second valve, seizing the second valve and in the extreme requiring the second valve and it's casing to extensive and costly repair/replacement. The scenario I've often seen that gives me the willies is students jamming their instructional books in the instrument case right on top of the second valve and then slamming the case lid shut. It would amaze me if the second valve slide survives this without damage.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Agreed Ed. It is amazing how many used horns have dents in the second valve slide. It is pretty well protected when playing ( your hand is over it). As you said, folks really need to be told not to put their music over the horn in a standard case. To the untrained it just make sense to put the music there. Shoving down on the second valve slide is a common cause of the second valve locking up in the casing. After checking to make sure casing and valve are clean, the second slide warping the casing is the next thing I check when a horn has a stuck second valve.