Stuck Main Tuning Slide - To Heat or not to Heat?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by taylordiving, Oct 12, 2013.

1. taylordiving

taylordiving Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've got a very stuck main tuning slide on a Conn 80A. Luckily it's not lodged all the way in (it's out about 1/2"). I've been applying drops of penetrating oil 2-3X per day and am doing the wrapped shoelace (equivalent) tie around the crook of the slide with the loose ends tied around a door knob to for a vice. I've only been "lubing and pulling" for 2 days now and have (predictably) made no progress. I'm in it for the long haul so no worries there (1 week, 1 month, whatever) but I'm wondering if I should be heating it up as I try all this? I'm not really sure about how to heat it without damaging anything so I'm putting this question out there to the "tech-sperts": should I be using heat and if so, how and by what method? Should I keep doing what I'm doing (non-heat method) and accept that it's going to take longer? How much longer? How safe and easy is the heating process?

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

2. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Mate

Take it to a reputable repair guy

It's not worth bending something

3. taylordiving

taylordiving Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    I did and the local guy was honest about how hard stuck slides are to fix and how much it might cost. Thus, unless there's anyone here in Melbourne who knows an inexpensive experienced home business techie this is going to have to be a NP job.

4. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Good luck

Be careful

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Have you searched the site? This topic comes up frequently. You might find some good suggestions.
    Jim

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    What are you using for penetrating oil? If it's WD40, there are better formulations that will 'wet' the slide surfaces much more effectively. One 'home recipe' you might try is a 50:50 mix of 3-in-1 and acetone (nail varnish remover). You only need a couple of drops, and it should do what it does in about a minute.

Don't, whatever you do, try heating with an open flame. What you might try is leaving the instrument in the fridge until it's near freezing, then quickly wiping the slide sleeves with a hot damp rag. If that doesn't free things up, then it may well be that somewhere along the line the slide's been bent out of true, and things now get expensive.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Three possibilities:
    1. He has seen the horn and seen difficulties e.g. dents through the outer tube.
    2. He was just being open about what may be entailed.
    3. He is not really a brass tech but a woodwind tech who does brass as if it is plumbing.

bumblebee likes this.
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The tuning slide on an 80A is in the bell bow. You should be able to tune it to play with the key slide stuck. That is a pretty wide slide and too much pressure to the top or bottom can destroy the alignment. If you have to do it yourself, use a towel instead of string or rope if you're using the jerk method. If you are in it for the long haul, you can use Kroil, heat (carefully) and attach a weight to the string and use gravity. Be sure everything is protected to avoid scratches and dents. Heat source can be a lightbulb or similar. I don't remember who it was but a pro was playing on stage and one of the horns had a stuck slide. He heard a clunk during the performance and the slide was on the floor. The horn was next to a stage light. He had tried everything to no avail.

9. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    First inspect the area carefully. Like Ivan stated, there could be a dent, no matter how small, that went through to the slide tubing. If you use heat, try using a hairdryer from a distance, and gradually warm the tubing area. Just remember that heat can affect the lacquer on the horn.

Sometimes, as in a case I had this year, the slide had calcified in the slide. No amount of penetrating oil, heat, combination of each would work. I was able to get the bottom tube out okay with heat, but the top slide tube remained in the lead pipe. I ended up having to replace the lead pipe, as the coupling end of the slide connected to the lead pipe was damaged, and Yamaha did not sell them separately (or so they told me). A fifty dollar mistake.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Fortunately it's not a Yammie! LOL!!!