Stuck mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Miguel..., Jun 13, 2011.

1. Miguel...

Miguel... New Friend

Mar 24, 2011
    I bought a trumpet from a friend but the moutpiece is stuck on it, I was wondering if theres is a way to remove it at home I don't want to take it to a shop if I can just do it here

Thanks

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Go to a shop ! They have the good tool to do that and it is not expensive, even free if you know them. If you try to do it yourself, you can easily destroy your mouthpiece AND the leadpipe…

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You really do not want to try ... you know all those trumpets with broken braces..guess how that happened?
    besides who doesn't enjoy walking around a music store for 15 minutes while the tech in the back fixes it? for nothing or $5

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    If you do not have a brass instrument repair shop nearby, you can try a few things. First, get some boiling water, and pour it on the trumpet receiver. Hopefully, this will expand the receiver and loosen the grip on the mouthpiece. Or, it is more likely that the trumpet wasn't clean, and dirt or grit is holding the mp in, so remove the tuning slide, and then try some PB Blaster. Spray it between the mp and receiver and wait a couple of hours.

5. Miguel...

Miguel... New Friend

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks guys,

The boiling won't harm the silver plating right? Just want to make sure before I try it

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The boiling water may affect the lacquer on a brass horn (can cause the lacquer to go milky or even laminate and come off), but not the silver-plate. I would still prefer the local shop to do it.

Cheers

7. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Not at all. In fact silver plating loves hot water, especially when cleaning the horn. If you do a search on cleaning silver plated horns, you will find the solution formula used with aluminum foil in a sink, or such. Using very hot water actually makes this an excellent means of cleaning silver plate without losing plating from the horn.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If you attempt this yourself - without a mouthpiece puller - then you have an idiot for a client. Dealing with kids in a band, very occasionally accidents happen, picking up a trumpet case with the zipper undone and the trumpet slips out right on it's mouthpiece .... oh, wait, that was me :oops:.

Go to a tech - most will do it for nothing - it takes seconds :thumbsup:.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Like many shops, I pull stuck mouthpieces for free.

I earn good money replacing lead pipes or braces after people have tried to do it themselves.

coolerdave likes this.
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe try it once, but then take it to the shop if not initially successful. I would take it to the shop first.