Stuck mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Miguel..., Jun 13, 2011.

1. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Hey guys,

Not everyone lives near a tech, nor can they all afford to send a horn off to a tech.

Recently, I repaired a horn for a local high school. The music director is a sax player in our community band. When returning the horn, I informed him that it needed a thorough cleaning, as there were massive calcium deposits throughout the horn. It had obviously not been cleaned in a long time. He also informed me that the school did not have a maitenence program for their instruments, to which I asked, which is cheaper, cleaning and maintaining their instruments, or purchasing new ones to replace the old?

There are few trumpet instructors in the area, who could instruct their students in trumpet maitenence. So, to have one attempt to do so, is what? Irresponsible?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If there is no tech available, then purchase a mpc puller. It's cheaper than repairing a damaged horn.

Bobcat Mouthpiece Puller

:thumbsup:

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Very often those teaching instrumental music in our elementary and secondary schools will have a mouthpiece puller, so check with them if you can't find a local tech.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    If there is no tech available near you, send it to one. It will still cost less than any damage you can and likely will incur.

Even up here in the middle of nowhere there is a music store within 45 minute's drive. Not impossible to find one. Heck... I'd bet your local school's band director has a puller and knows how to use it. Buy him/her a doughnut and ask them to do it if you can't get to a tech. But do not try to do it yourself.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    You don't even need a tech. just go to a music store that carrys mouthpiece pullers and ask if you can try one. The vast majority will let you do it for free. Others may charge you $5.

Doing general cleaning and maintenance at home is fine, but pulling a stuck mouthpiece without ripping off the lead pipe requires specific pulling tools (i.e. a mouthpiece puller). ANY twisting could result in popped braces, or worse.

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Boiling water lifts lacquer.
    Go to a repair shop.

If you insist on taking it out yourself, try this…

[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT]Find a WOOD door frame with a WOOD door.
    [FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT]Place the mouthpiece between the door and the jam (hinge side of door).
    [FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT]VERY SLIGHTLY APPLY PRESSURE TO THE MOUTHPIECE WITH THE DOOR.
    [FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT]VERY SLIGHTLY TAP THE MOUTHPIECE WITH THE PLASTIC HANDLE OF A SCREW DRIVER.
    [FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT]If it does not come out, see a repairman.
    [FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT]If you have over done the pressure and the tapping, go see a repairman.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I like to see stuck mouthpieces on instruments in thrift shops where I can negotiate a lower price due to such. I bought my own mouthpiece puller many years ago. I know also that many band directors have done the same. Yep, they are a lot cheaper that causing damage to a leadpipe or braces, or trying to close a trombone case with the mouthpiece stuck and putting a big dent in the bell. I bought that King trombone for $25 and it is the only one I have played since. Of course, there is no dent in the bell any longer.

8. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    one option that wasn't mentioned is that you might try to use some valve oil and drip it around the area where the mouthpiece connects to the receiver. Let it sit for a while and then apply some more and then when you attempt to pull the mouth piece off use a turning motion, so that you try to turn it counter clockwise as the mp faces you.

Most music stores I know of will do it for free and if you try to use something to remove it you are going to screw it up.

9. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    I made a puller over the Easter holidays as I was abroad and the local music shops didn't have one. Took quite a long time, but it worked a treat on a mouthpiece that had been stuck for 20+ years. It was a borrowed trumpet, but I wanted to use my own mouthpiece.

If you have some technical skills, look up the design and make your own puller. :thumbsup: It's really just two apertures and two bolts.

[​IMG]

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've seen a horrific incident when one attempted to pull a mouthpiece by hand ... it did come loose but the trumpet crashed through the window and fell to strike the concrete railing and was considered a total loss. Too, the person who attempted to pull it fell backward and struck his head on a metal folding chair getting a concussion lump but refused medical care. Examination of the mouthpiece showed the shank end to be severely out of round and the owner admitted he had dropped it just before putting it in his trumpet. Can you believe this happened in college band? He couldn't afford a new instrument and quit the band.