Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Miguel..., Jun 13, 2011.
That sounds so far out it would be funny if he hadn't quit.
Ya, a MP puller is the tool that's needed- go to the shop.
If I remember correctly, he was an instrumental music major, while I just minored. I cannot affirm, but I think he may have also quit college as I did not see him around campus any longer. However, I do know the instructor had access to a puller if only he had waited, as I had seen the instructor use it prior. This was the instructor I did not get along well with as he was only pursuing his Masters.
Yes, I too have the Bobcat mouthpiece puller - you don't use it very often, but it gets cheaper everytime I do use it. Recommended.
There is a tool, much like a tapered reamer, but without the cutting edges, used for 'dressing' out the distortions in the backbore of damaged mouthpieces too - I have one of those but have only ever used it a couple of times on school mouthpieces before the instruments are issued to the kids (and I don't let them observe that little operation).
I got mine from my Grandfather's tool box. He called them a "swedge". Whether the term is right or not, it works for me. There are 6 of them in different sizes and it is number 3 in ascending order that works mostly for all the brass horn mpcs and receivers, and how the latter get out of round befuddles my brain, but they occasionally do. I do check them on instruments I acquire in the used market as is where I've found the majority. Too, I've adopted the practice of rubbing the outside of my own mouthpiece shanks with liquid lanolin following every time I scrub them which may or may not help prevent a mpc becoming stuck, but I can't remember when I've pulled my own mouthpieces although I've pulled a least one hundred belonging to others. Yes, my high school band director pulled 3 that I was using but they belonged to the school. I do remember one was a French horn mpc and another was on the Sousaphone and I know when and how it got stuck because that was the incident that also broke my left index finger. The third was on a cornet while my trumpet was in the shop, and that was a time that I developed an affinity for the cornet.
I just purchased a bobcat puller for $45 on ebay I figured that it can be real handy to have one at home
Make certain that the sliding jaws are solidly against the squared off end of the mouthpiece receiver. I just nip up the thumb screws holding these jaws and apply inward pressure on them as I take up the pressure with the main screws. The reason for doing this is that the mouthpiece shank is tapered, and if you are not careful you adjust these sliding jaws closer to the mouthpiece rim, which is a larger diameter than at the receiver. This leads to the possibility of the sliding jaws "popping" off the end of the receiver, damaging it in the process.
Thanks for the advice I'm I can't wait to try out the trumpet
Hey, if there isn't a local shop near you, call your local high school and ask for the band director (many work in the summer). Many band directors keep a puller. I did, and when I was in school, every school I went to had one. it is a 3 minute fix.
I'm on board with Ivan! Glad you are getting the right tool and as Ivan said be careful to use it correctly. When I was repairing brass at the local music store, damage from improperly pulled mouthpeices was a major money cow, braces broken. seams teared up,etc, not to mention the money made selling new mouthpieces to the unfortunate families.
Good luck with the new trumpet.