Stuck on G above the staff and mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trompi, Aug 22, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I hope that you can find some stuff in here that will put you on the right path.

My intent was not to tear down anyone for suggesting a mouthpiece switch, nor to discredit exercises that Wayne Bergeron may (or may not) do to keep his playing at the extreme level he has attained. My intent was to pass along my opinion based on personal experience - and keep in mind what is elixir for me might be poison for someone else.

I can't really advise you what to do with the horn - what I can do is relate things that have worked or mistakes that I have made by being primarily self taught, which in retrospect, I don't recommend for anyone who really wants to advance as a player. While a certain amount of progress can be made in self analysis, it may take years to come to a conclusion that a good teacher could have turned you onto in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, with all of that out of the way, I would like to personally welcome you to the forum and community we have here. You will find a wealth of information from some truly top notch players, and the atmosphere is light and conducive to building some really neat relationships.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Trompi,

The problem is not in the mouthpiece, so, don't concern yourself with that. It's a non-issue.

The problem is in your perception of what a "Solid" G above the staff sounds like. You likely have an okay perception of the sound from records and performances you've heard but there's no way that a person with a G that is solid will have the notes above go to powder without it seeming like just a normal process of development.

You've been playing for a year. In my mind, having a solid G above the staff is perfect in terms of development. Even for the best beginners, 2 years would be the earliest I could imagine someone developing a full, working range (low F# to High C).

So, you're either on track

or

you're capable of more at this point but you're doing some physical things that are holding you back and the non-availabilty of a higher range is just a symptom.

I prefer to think you're on track and you have to be patient. Don't switch mouthpieces for at least another year when your "trumpet muscles" have had a chance to provide a strong foundation for such change. Look for relaxation in your playing and an ease of breathing in and out.

Are you a person that used to play another brass instrument? If you are, sorry for the pedantic lecture but you didn't mention it in your original post if you are.

ML

3. trompi

trompi New Friend

Aug 20, 2005
    SP
    Hi Manny,

I know I'm missing a lot from being learning without a teacher. I'll try to get one or at least contact with other players.

Answering to your question I'm new for wind instruments (just a year with trumpet) but I have a good background as classic guitar player that helps me reading music and so.

Thanks for you on relaxation, breathing and most importante, to be patient ;)

Regards.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's interesting how a background with another instrument can aid in learning something else.

I picked up playing drums a couple of years ago for a contemporary worship band. When I started playing for this band, I could already play basic rock grooves and I had decent time, but thanks to already being a musician, I was quickly able to come up to a level to where I was no longer fumbling, but I was actually back there locking in the part.

In addition to that, I have also been able to apply practice techniques that I have learned over years of playing and practicing - sometimes learning how to practice takes as much time as the practicing itself.

Good luck with playing trumpet and welcome to a new brotherhood! (AND sisterhood! ;-) )

5. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    I'd agree with what was said above. I've been playing for a good number of years (18 maybe?) and I started my "equipment" expedition a couple years back and now have found myself with the same stuff I started with, just a few hundred dollars poorer for the experience. And, now I've started to progress again, as I was in a plateau for the last few years I was "mouthpiece hunting". It ain't the mouthpiece.
    -J

6. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Breath deep, keep in chest and pinch butt-checks! :shock:

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Now, THERE'S a picture!:D

By the way, whose butt cheeks did you have in mind? I mean, I've been on some gigs, where... never mind.

ML

8. garface

garface New Friend

Mar 7, 2010
    Actually, bad idea. its not the mouthpeice, that generally has nothing to do with it until you start getting a lot higher. A 3C or 1.5C will actually make it harder to play higher as they are biggger and deeper. Stick to your 7C. You don't need to switch mouthpeices. Just use a lot of air, and work your way up. try messing with different positions of your mouth.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Please read "Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment". Its helped several people and its a free way to check things out.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The advice that it's not your mouthpiecec is dead on. As a teacher for 32 years it's been my ecperience that range is a natural development of over all development in learning to play. Learning to play is a skill and if you want to be good you must go to someone who is not only good at it but can also teach it. It's just good common sense. Most playing problems are a result of poor playing habits. Range problems as a result of poor habits usually do become apparent until you start to reach the top of the staff. I can usually tell what's wrong in the first lesson with a student.