Stuck on Tuning Slide - Ultra Pure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi,

I am finally using the Ultra Pure oils etc that I bought a while back. The valve oil I can say is second to none. Never felt valves that feel like this in my life, and I have been using products like Hetmans prior to this. Needless to say, all that old stuff is gone in the bin.

I used Ultra Pure's tuning slide grease (regular) on the tuning slide - feels much nicer than the Hetmans 7 slide grease - everything moves free(er).

I then used Ultra Pure's "light slide" on the 3rd and 1st slide as recommended. It is also a 'grease' looking thing like regular, feels less thick though - but what I do not understand is... it makes the slides stick.. like - If i slide them out, they stay in that position, they do not move back or forward (like the tuning slide).

I thought that was meant to make the slides operate fast... now first and 3rd operate like my tuning slide... you move into position and thats where it stays. With enough force applied, it moves back - but that is not the 'flick of the finger' fast I expected which I did get from Hetmans number 4, which was more like a valve oil rather than a grease.

Have I done something wrong (too much), or am I supposed to add something else on top of the light slide? Is the Light Slide from ultra pure meant to be a thick looking thing like the regular or did I get something wrong?

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Try putting 1 drop of valve oil on top of the grease and working the slides, repeat until it feels right to you.

Regards, Stuart.

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    +1 to stumac
    I sometimes use Bach tuning slide grease and I drop some of my valve oil.
    Or I just use my Yamaha soft slide grease

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I use and experience the same thing, I use a lot at a time w/2 drops of oil then work the excess out and wipe it off after that it works ok.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I use the same (Ultra Pure oils and grease), as well as the heavy for a couple of main slides that like to move a little when the heat is on.
    Stumac & Dennis 78 are on the money. It works - just a drop or two, and work the slide until it feels right - takes a few seconds.

I also like Ivan's Magic grease - it works a treat as well.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Anhydrous lanolin from the drugstore....... don't mix it with anything.

7. jjcousin

jjcousin Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Cleveland, OH
    I second the use Anhydrous Lanolin...except I cut it w/valve oil, too for the 1st and 3rd (not on the tuning)...

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I do like the lanolin on my main tuneing slide because it seems sticky and really keeps the slide where you put it

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Interesting - I've recently become a real fan of Hetman's products. I like all of it - the valve oil, the slide greases (both tuning slide, and the light slide grease for 1st and 3rd valves) - to me it's better than what I had been using, so that's what I have decided to stick with for a while. I particularly like the valve oils - the #2 is maybe a bit thicker in viscosity, and thus a hair slower than what I'd been using, but the stuff seems to last a lot longer. Maybe I need to check into the Ultra Pure stuff. If it's so much better that you are relegating the Hetman products to the trash bin, it's got to be the best stuff going anymore.

I don't know if it's all they use, but it seems to me that both the Schilke slide grease (which I have always liked) and the Hetman tuning slide grease both contain lanolin. You aren't the first person I've heard mention using plain old drug store anhydrous lanolin, but at this juncture I have the remnants of a container of Schilke slide grease, and I get the Hetman slide grease for free (compliments of my National Guard unit) so It might be a decade or more before I find myself in the need to actually purchase anything else.

10. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I use a food-grade lubricant grease from McGlaughlin - bought a couple 4 oz tubes of it many years ago for like $2 each from a restaurant supply store. Odorless & tasteless. I use it straight on main tuning slides. I also use a thin coat of it on the fast slides after semi-annual cleanings and then just cut it with a few drops of Hetmans 1.