Stuck on Tuning Slide - Ultra Pure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not found in U.S. chain pharmacies. I get my liquid lanolin from health food supplement store ... lately becoming expensive.

2. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    I dunno, Hetmans is not bad, I just found for me, the valves definitely felt more slippery with the ultra pure than it did with Hetmans. So there is no sense in using the hetmans anymore for me because the UP feels better. No good to mix the oils either. Since valve oil is cheap anyway, $10-$15 or so (depending what country), it lasts a few months using it on a daily basis (after playing trumpet I oil them down - daily), whats 15 dollars for a few months? Nothing. So no point using what I found wasn't quite as nice, and for 15 bucks (just to use it until empty and then use the better stuff later) bah, its just 15 dollars, big deal.

3. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi,

I added the valve oil to the tuning slide... slightly better, still crap.

Think I just need to wipe off ultra pures "light slide grease" and not use it at all. Thing makes everything stiff on tuning slides... I don't get it at all.

My trumpet teachers tuning slide will fly off without you even touching it how smooth and fast it slides... Mine used to be more similar to that. With the light grease, it just makes everything more stick. Is there a way around this, use less of the stuff perhaps...

Can I just wipe the stuff off, and use valve oil on tuning slide 1 and 2, and not worry about any grease?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yes, you can wipe it off of the slide parts that you can get to, I would continue to thin with valve oil on slides 1+3 until the old grease is flushed away.

5. Monster Oil

Monster Oil Piano User

Sep 24, 2014

Self-serving plug in 3...2...1...

- Wipe everything off and use Slide Oil from here:

Purchase valve oil, slide grease and slide oil | Monster Oil

If you hate it, we'll give you your money back. We love this stuff on all our horns - very fast.

Cheap plug is now concluded.