Stuck Slide HELP

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Joe

Joe Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2010
    Ireland
    The slide on the 2nd valve of my trumpet is jammed and no matter how hard I pull it wont come out.
    I need help asap
    Thnx a lot
    Joe

2. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Cheap fix to take it to a tech....

Well worth the investment over bending or tweaking something on the horn.

Brian

3. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Second. Don't yank too hard as it is relatively easy to warp your valve casing and then you will have to take it in anyway.

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Put a rope in between the slide, and pull! Not too hard of course!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  5. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello. Pad the second slide. Then take a small hand held massager. Put it on low setting let it vibrarate up and down on all sides. This might loosen it up. Take a quality made, large handkerchief, twist it up and through the second slide. Try to run it through two or three times to fill up the space.
    Hold the horn firmly and pull the slide in it's correct angle. Give a steady pull. If it does not come out. Quit. I have unstuck a lot of frozen slides using a blow dryer with hot/cold air and a hand massager. With all this said. This is not my Horn, if the slide is stuck at a bad angle. Will be best to take to a Music Tech. Good luck

6. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    After that, lanolin as slide grease. The stuff is amazing, is all natural, is the best slide grease for movement of slides and you will only have to apply once a month (I know many people who live by the stuff (I'm one too) and a guy I know only has to do it once a year!)

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I second the tech. The chance of ripping the second slide off the horn or warping the casing is too great.

You can try putting valve oil on the slide mornings and evenings for a couple of days to free it up. Most of the rust remover stuff doesn't work on brass so it is of no use.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    One of the techniques a tech will use is a "pull" as has been here described, the difference being the patience of lighter multiple tugs. IME. such is mostly caused by over packing the instrument case with sheet music or one of those big study program books (My platinum Alban's could do it, except it never sees an instrument case.)

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It's the 2nd slide!! Just leave it alone until you can see a tech. There is no reason to pull it anyway!

Cheers - and welcome back, Ed Lee!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When the 2nd valve slide is stuck on a trumpet / cornet, it worries me. I usually suspect more serious damage where components of the slide are pressing against valve. I've about every device I know of to pull slides, but always advocate using less than the max. Too, I'm a lanolin advocate. The only reason I know of to pull a second valve slide is in setting a PVA on 2nd valve which I would not ignore.