Stuck Slide HELP

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe, Aug 12, 2010.

1. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    I've done it to a YTR-2335 (not mine and not used for years) without a tech (the whole rope setup) It was the 1st and 3rd slide I did it to. Both were black, but Brasso fixed this.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IME, the repeated use of Brasso make slides smaller by removal of brass. Eventually, slides will become uncontrollable.

3. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    Not my problem! It was a school trumpet and they wanted me to use Brasso. I'm not playing it anymore.

I hated that trumpet BTW. It was so resistant, and the slides never worked, the valves were always stuck no matter how I oiled them (I couldn't get movement of any kind for 15 minutes after spring break!), and the thumb ring was way too small.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    First, I wouldn't do anything different to any instrument than what I'd do to my own. I've encountered many a school instrument with all the problems you speak of and more. No doubt schools are extremely lax on instrument maintenance, and I don't want to hear the "cry" of budget restraint from the instructor / director. The answer is they don't want to do their job or direct a band if there is not an on-going instrument maintenance program. My present cornet and one of my trumpets is student qualityConn Dirtectors bought used and initially had such problems ... but they don't now. Essentially, it's called TLC! I'd now blind test them against any propounded "upgraded" instrument.

The biggest problem about school instruments is goop or a mix of different lubricants. Assuming a 10 year old instrument, I'd presume at least 20 different brand valve oils having been used just one upon the others without degreasing or sonic cleaning, generally speaking the cheapest low bidded from time to time.

5. gerry

gerry New Friend

Jul 8, 2010
    England
    Go to a tech so you donĀ“t damage the trumpet!!;-)