Stuck slide with Ultrasonic cleaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Dec 20, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well, I had this idea, if you put a cornet or trumpet with a stuck slide in a ultrasonic cleaning unit and it would free out the corrosion and make the stuck slide free?

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Depends on how stuck it is, whether it's stuck because it's bent on because of deposits, and how long you're (or the tech) willing to leave it in the sonicator.

Sometimes, a soaking in mineral spirits might work, but I'm guessing this isn't a piston horn.

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    It is a holton collegiate

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I've had lots of luck filling the affected slide with penetrating oil and letting it sit overnight. You'll have to hang the horn so that slide is down so it will hold the oil, pull a valve and fill er up. After that try pulling on the slide with a little wiggle, or a few sharp tugs. Push and pull on it-not enough to break it but firmly. After that soak it again. The toughest slide only took 2 soakings and that was a tuneing slide on a collegiate cornet. I don't know if it had anything to do with it But I figured if I can thumb dents out of a baritone bell then maybe I should try to "rub" the tubes to try to break up some corrosion.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    It is not a cure-all, but often it helps.

6. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    Ultrasonic cleaning or chemical cleaning has unstuck all the slides of trumpets or cornets I have bought. Where I live chemical cleaning is half the price of ultrasonic cleaning.

Conn 1000 A cornet
    Conn director 17 A cornet
    Curry 3 VC mp
    Denis wick 3, 3b, 4 b mp

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Seeing as how it's a relative "tank", ultrasonic shouldn't shake anything loose that isn't already broken. More isn't always better with ultrasonic cleaning.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I wonder how ultrasound could even work on a stuck slide. The vibration is applied externally to the liquid medium that is NOT getting to where the slide is stuck. Appling ultrasound vibration to the metal won't work. Too much mass that would severely damp the vibration. I am for letting my tech earn his keep. I see what he does with a hammer and some special tools and am ALWAYS amazed. I am a real DIY type of guy, but this is art and I really like to watch creatives in action. I learn things, like where my limits are.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We were here once a while back where I questioned the safety of using ultrasound on a music instrument. The issues were temper, erosion of solder joints and other fatigue issues. I have never heard of techs being specially trained in the use of ultrasound on musical instruments and suspect that few if any really have in depth knowledge of the gremlins associated with the process. I believe that the advantages cause many not to ask questions........ (how long, how strong)I would not let anyone put my Monette in an ultrasound bath - except Dave Monette if he even uses one. Last time at his shop, my horn got a chem bath.