Stuck Valve Casings & slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by JRodri, Nov 6, 2011.

1. JRodri

JRodri New Friend

Jun 26, 2011
    What is the best way to get stuck valve casings and slides off without excessive pressure or pliers?
    I know going to the shop and spending the extra dollars is the safe way to go, but anything I should try before spending the money?

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I assume your talking about upper and lower valve caps and not the casings; or maybe the valves are stuck in the casings. When I start taking apart a horn with stuck slides I start by running warm water through the horn for several minutes. I have a hose that clips over a faucet that I can plug into the receiver and just let it flow with as much pressure as I can. If that doesn't work I soak the horn in warm water for a few hours (realizing things like felts can be damaged in the process). Various snakes can help get the tuning slide free, and a liberal amount of valve oil can sometimes loosen up sticky caps and valves. That's about all I can think of without resorting to tools. I've pulled lots of slides from lots of horns, but when I picked up a classic Couesnon flugel with a stuck 2nd valve that I intended to keep I didn't even mess with it--I took it to the shop--a small price to pay to eliminate the possibility of my damaging the horn.

3. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Anything stuck should be a trip to your local tech, IMHO.....DONT DO what the "experts" on You Tube suggest....rawhide mallets, WD 40......the ONLY thing that gets near my horns are valve oil, slide grease,a polishing rag and my lips!!!! No tools, no chemicals,no brute force.........

4. Byfbo96

Byfbo96 New Friend

May 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Don't screw with it..take it to a shop...if you are really not sure then you could cause more damage to the horn which in turn would cost more to fix. Let the pros handle it.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Do a search on this and the other forum for stuck slides, stuck valve caps. I have a set of rubberized pliers for pulling spark plug boots off the plugs and they work great on the stuck valve caps: [​IMG]

6. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I agree with sending it to a tech. As an aspiring tech, I often see horns that are screwed up with the "best intentions". The valves and casings are made with soft brass. Any dent or mishaping by using pliers etc. can damage not only the casings outside, but, worse, the interior, and the piston itself. Every time someone tries to do it yourself, the tech hears the "ka-ching" adding up in his register.

Use warm water, so as not to dealquer your horn, and keep at it. If it doesn't work, take it to a tech.

Gary