stuck valve tool

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Sanderson Man, Sep 6, 2009.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
  2. Sanderson Man

Sanderson Man Pianissimo User

May 16, 2009
    those are good links but they are for woodwinds.

p.s. thanks for being the first to not criticize how I take care of my trumpets.

3. Sanderson Man

Sanderson Man Pianissimo User

May 16, 2009
    those are good links but I think they're for woodwinds.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Those aren't for just woodwinds, but the magnetic stuff doesn't work on small brass. It is meant for tubing that is 1 inch or larger in inner diameter.

The Votaw tool that was posted would be used on the bell crook, and never for a valve casing.

Valve tools have to be precisely the size of the casing for best results. This means you have to know the size (in thousandths of an inch) of the piston, and the actual casing.

5. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    Try not to take all the questions the wrong way, we are trying to help.
    If we know what is causing these dents you may be able to stop it from happening in the first place. As you can tell by others reactions it is not a very common thing.
    Do you have any thing loose in your case that may cause this? It doesn't need to be something large. Does your trumpet fit the case properley?

This is not a negative coment on your care of your instrument, it just might be something you are overlooking.
    The only time I have dented a valve casing in 20 years is when I dropped a mp on to it. The amount of traveling you described is not too uncommon. You should have seen what I subjected my poor Bach 37 to.

Hope you find an answer to the dents.

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    You sound like my son, with your various playing situations. The only difference is that he's never had a valve casing accident, while it sounds as if you've had several.

The microscopic "dents" you're talking about may well be caused by a loose mouthpiece in the case -- make sure that nothing can move around in the case to avoid these repairs.

The other problem, especially if it's the same valve all the time, is that the valve slide is getting torqued just a bit and the casing is being made out of round because of it. That may well be caused by the type of case you put your horn into.

The bottom line is that many people who play trumpet play in lots of different situations from a bar band on Saturday night to a church praise band on Sunday morning to a community band on Monday to a brass quintet on Tuesday, and very few of them ever need valve casing repairs.

It's not the playing situations you're in, it's how your horn is treated while your at those playing situations.

In any event, valve casing repair is not something anybody should try who hasn't worked with a teacher and has experimented on lots of non-important (i.e. junk) instruments to learn just how far to go with whatever tools you're using.

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
  8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    You have to start somewhere